Vincent Janssen
Janssen was on target against England in friendly earlier this yearGetty Images

Tottenham Hotspur look closer to complete the signing of Vincent Janssen after the AZ Alkmaar striker had confirmed the negotiations between the clubs have progressed well. The Netherlands international didn't train with the rest of his teammates on Friday morning (8 July) with hopes that the transfer saga could be resolved in the coming hours.

The 22-year-old international has been identified as Mauricio Pochettino's priority to bolster his attack following his impressive 2015-2016 campaign with AZ Alkmaar, scoring 32 goals in 49 appearances, including 27 in the Eredivisie.

However, the Spurs efforts to sign the player have been blocked to the date after the Eredivisie outfit rejected an opening bid believed to be worth £14.9m spread over three years.

Janssen himself later revealed that he was looking forward to move to White Hart Lane with hopes that that his current club facilitate his departure.

"I have expressed my choice at the club," Janssen was quoted as saying by Sky Sports later last month. "Tottenham Hotspur have made a high bid in my eyes. There has been an offer around €18m (£14.9m), but AZ will not even come to the table."

AZ Alkmaar were said to be demanding a fee of around £17m to part ways with the striker and it looks that Spurs have decided to improve their previous £14.9m bid to complete his signing. Yet, Janssen has confirmed that despite the deal is not 100% done it looks good.

"AZ and Spurs are talking now. It's not 100%, but it's looking good. Otherwise I would have trained," he said after being pictured by Noordhollands Dagblad leaving the training ground of his club. "I'm happy the clubs are talking now. I'm going to go home and wait. It could be in hour but it could also take longer."

Should the deal is completed the Netherland international will become the Tottenham's second signing of the summer following the arrival of Victor Wanyama from Southampton.