Tottenham Hotspurs manager Mauricio Pochettino has insisted that he is "happy" with his current squad despite being left disappointed with 2-1 defeat against Newcastle on Sunday (13 December). The Argentinian manager claims that "you always look at options" ahead of the January transfer window, but added that having played on Thursday a Europe League game against Monaco is not an "excuse" for his players being tired in the second part of the game.
Pochettino's side dominated the first-half of the game and took the lead after Eric Dier headed the opener. However, substitutes Aleksandar Mitrovic and Ayoze Perez scored one goal each to see Newcastle come from behind to get three points at White Hart Lane.
The manager was frustrated with the result, but insisted it doesn't change his thoughts on the squad ahead of the coming transfer window, having previously opened the door to a striker to back-up Harry Kane, should a good opportunity arrive.
"This defeat does not change my feeling - I am happy with the squad," he said to BBC. "You always look at options but I am very happy with the squad I have."
The Argentinian, nevertheless, believes that his side didn't deserve the defeat after a fantastic first-half.
"I think our first half was fantastic; we dominated the game. The second is not easy to explain. We made mistakes and we feel very disappointed now because we did not deserve to lose. But that is football and you need to compete over 95 minutes. Today was difficult," he said. "The game was under control. We conceded two goals because we made simple mistakes but we need to look forward. In football it is impossible sometimes to explain why.
"After 45 minutes you never expected to lose the game. Thursday [in the Europa League] is not an excuse, there is nothing to say about Thursday. It is not about physical condition. We gave the ball away and needed more control. We conceded two easy goals and that is why we are disappointed."