The cast and creator of Amazon's show Transparent gathered at the Television Critics Association and debuted a first look at the show's upcoming season. Transparent season 2 returns on 4 December.
Here are a few spoilers on what to expect in Transparent's upcoming season.
1. Maura is not the central character: Golden Globe winner for best actor in a television series Jeffrey Tambor said at the Television Critics Association summer press tour event in California, that his character Maura and her family won't be the only focus on season 2 of Transparent.
"Maura is the gateway figure this season," Jeffrey Tambor said. "It's about what it means to be authentic. Will you still love me if I change? It's more than just a story about transitioning, it's about people seeking their freedom, all of us."
He added, "An actor approaches a role the same way. I'm very aware of the onus of a cisgender male taking on this role. That had my knees knocking."
2. Maura and Shelly's relationship will deepen: Though it's not exactly clear what that will look like. A moment in the trailer prompts Ali to ask them, "So are you two lesbians now?" with Judith Light (Shelly) saying, "Transparent shows you don't fall in love with a gender, you fall in love with a person. These two people are deeply connected. Shelly has always loved this person."
3. Josh will go to a dark place: Jay Duplass says that Josh will go to a "very dark place" this time. "He's a bit of a whipping boy in season 2, he has a long long way to go, and I'm enjoying getting the crap beat out of me," the actor teased.
4. Trailer: In the teaser trailer, we saw a wedding (unclear whose) and Josh and rabbi Rachel (Kathryn Hahn) in a birth training class. According to Vulture, the trailer shows Alex (Gaby Hoffmann) and Syd (Carrie Brownstein) kissing, and Maura learning to say, "Yaaas, Queen!"
5. Sarah and Tammy's marriage woes: Marriage only complicates things for the swift-moving couple, Sarah and Tammy. "It's going to be a year of revelation and maybe feeling some consequences I'm not sure she was in touch with last season," Amy Landecker teased.
Actor Jeffrey Tambor (Maura) was nominated for an Emmy for outstanding actor in a comedy series. With 11 Emmy nominations, Transparent is the most nominated original comedy series of the bunch.