Donald Trump
Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump at a rally at a car dealership in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, 15 OctoberReuters/Jonathan Ernst

Donald Trump supporters in Wisconsin angrily shouted their disapproval of one of the leading members of the Republican Party yesterday (17 October).

"Paul Ryan sucks! Paul Ryan sucks!" Trump supporters chanted at a rally in Green Bay before the Republican presidential candidate spoke.

Ryan was elected in Wisconsin and is the Speaker of the Republican held US House of Representatives, one of the two houses of the United States Congress.

The chant started before Trump took the podium when another speaker at the rally suggested the crowd get in touch with the national campaign. "Wisconsin has not elected a Republican for president since 1984," he said.

Last week, following the revelation of a video where Trump makes shocking comments about women, Ryan distanced himself from the Republican candidate when asked about the controversy.

On 11 October, Ryan's office said: "The speaker is going to spend the next month focused entirely on protecting our congressional majorities." It is rare for a Republican house speaker to distance themselves from the party's nominee and so the move underscored fractures in the Republican Party.

Trump did not address Ryan in his speech, but before appearing on stage he told ABC News that he thought that Ryan's waning support might be because of his own political ambitions. "He wants to run in four years or maybe he doesn't know how to win. I know I'm in his territory and they are all screaming for Trump," the Republican said.

"We're going to win this state," Trump said in his speech. "They're starting to get nervous. It's starting to look that way."

Website FiveThirtyEight currently shows Clinton with a 90.7% chance of winning Wisconsin and Trump with a 9.3% chance.

The third and final Presidential debate will take place tomorrow (19 October), ahead of the election on 8 November.