Google said on Tuesday (November 19) it will remove a satellite photo from its Maps service that shows a 14-year-old teenager shot to death in Richmond, California, in 2009.

The Internet search giant, which typically dismisses most requests from the public to modify its Maps service, said it was exploring "technical solutions" to remove the image after the teen's father, Jose Barrera, told a local TV station he chanced upon the image last week.

"That hurt me a lot to see his body, those images, that hurt me a lot," Barrera said.

Google said it will take up to eight days to replace the image.

"Google has never accelerated the replacement of updated satellite imagery from our maps before, but given the circumstances we wanted to make an exception in this case," Maps vice president Brian McClendon said in a statement.

Kevin Barrera, 14, was shot and killed in 2009. Police discovered his body near a railroad track in Richmond on August 15 that year, the TV station reported.

The image, still accessible on Google Maps on Tuesday morning, shows a stationary police cruiser and people clustered near what appeared to be a person lying next to a set of train tracks.

Presented by Adam Justice

Read more: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/523537/20131119/google-remove-murdered-satellite-image-teenage-kevin.htm