Jon Jones
Jones is expected to be stripped of the light heavyweight title once againGetty

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has failed yet another United States Doping Agency (USADA) drug test after testing positive for an in-competition sample following his title-winning return last month.

Jones (23-1 record in MMA) returned from a one-year suspension for a failed drug test on 29 July to defeat Daniel Cormier (19-2 record in MMA) at UFC 214 and once again regain the light heavyweight title that he never lost.

Right after the title bout, "Bones" was looking for a money fight as he proposed a heavyweight bout with former UFC star and current WWE Universal champion Brock Lesnar with the latter reciprocating an interest.

However, that seems to have gone out of the window as according to TMZ, Jones has tested positive for the banned substance turinabol, which carries a two-year suspension from USADA for first-time offenders and longer for multiple-time offenders.

The UFC released a statement confirming the news as Jones will now go through the disciplinary process and is highly likely of getting stripped of the title once again, though nothing has been confirmed as of now. Since the test sample was in-competition as well, the UFC 214 title fight is likely to be overturned into a no-contest, putting Cormier's record at 19-1-1.

The news comes as a shock to the entire combat sports world as it adds another chapter to the 30-year-old's controversial career.

Jones' camp have swiftly responded, claiming that he is devastated by the news and that everyone involved is at a loss for words.

"We are all at a complete loss for words right now. Jon, his trainers, his nutritionists and his entire camp have worked tirelessly and meticulously the past 12 months to avoid this exact situation," Jones' manager Malki Kawa told MMAFighting.

"We are having the samples tested again to determine the validity or source of contamination. Jon is crushed by this news and we are doing whatever we can as a team, to support him."

Cormier, who repeatedly accused Jones of using steroids in the build-up to their second fight, also responded to the news.

"It's hard to find words to describe how I'm feeling right now," Cormier told MMAFighting. "I'm disappointed to hear the news. It's very emotional. We as athletes are entitled to due process, and I will refrain from saying much more until I know exactly what happened."

"In my mind, on July 29, I competed and I lost. I thought Jon Jones was the better man that day. I don't know what to think anymore. I can't believe we are going through all of this again. We will see what happens next.

"Thank you to all my fans who have supported me during this dark time. I love you all very much."

TMZ claim the Endicott native could be suspended for four years as UFC president Dana White reacted from Las Vegas, stating that this could be the end of his career.

"Obviously, it's brutal. It's unbelievable," White said. "I don't know what to say. I always know what to say. I don't know what to say ... We have to wait until it plays out with USADA. This might be the end of his career."

"As far as I'm concerned, if Jones isn't the champion, it has to go back to Cormier."

White also claimed that there were discussions going on for a possible heavyweight fight between Jones and current champion Stipe Miocic for UFC Detroit in December which is definitely not going to happen now.