Samsung released the official Android 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean) update for the Galaxy S3 in October and the official release was soon followed by the unofficial option to root the device; i.e., gain administrator level access to the phone's systems and be able to run specialised apps and add personal tweaks. However, rooting voids the warranty of the device. Therefore, if users wish to restore official Jelly Bean firmware, they may follow this tutorial. IBTimes UK reminds its readers it will not be held responsible for damage to the device during the procedure. Please also remember this tutorial is for the Samsung Galaxy S3 only.
- Download and install appropriate USB drivers for the Galaxy S3 and enable USB debugging Mode.
- Back-up all important data and settings
- Ensure there is at least 80 percent charge on the battery
- Ensure phone is factory unlocked
To Unroot Galaxy S3 I9300 on Android 4.1.1 Firmware
- Download Android 4.1.1 I9300XXDLJ4 to computer and extract zip file
- Download Odin v1.85 to computer
- Power off device and re-start in Download Mode (to do so, press and hold Volume Down, Home and Power buttons till construction Android robot and triangle appears and then press Power again)
- Connect device to computer while device is in Download Mode and start Odin (successful connection will be indicated by an ID:COM box turning yellow with a COM port number)
- Select these files in the order mentioned
- Click on PDA and select CODE
- Click on Phone and select MODEM
- Click on CSC and select CSC
- Click on PIT and select .pit
- Note: Ignore last three steps if such files are not found
- Click Start, in Odin, to begin installation. This may take a few minutes
- After installation, device will restart. Unplug only when Home screen appears
- Finally, uninstall Superuser/ SuperSU root binary apps from installed apps
The Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 has been unrooted on Android 4.1.1 official firmware. Navigate to Settings > About Phone to verify software version. This can also be done by using Root Checker app.
[Source: Team Android]