The Galaxy S2 I9100 can now be updated to the latest Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware, thanks to the release of CyanogenMod 11 (CM11) based EHNDROIX V ROM by XDA senior member, AlessandroXCV.
EHNDROIX V is an aftermarket firmware released by NitroX developers with focus on minute details of customisation to deliver a user-friendly KitKat experience together with support for a wide range of terminals.
As the ROM is based on the original Android Open Source Project (AOSP) release, it brings stock-like KitKat features on a custom ROM with a completely bloatware-free experience.
Some of the noteworthy features ported into EHNDROIX V custom ROM are listed below:
- Android 4.4.2 KitKat with FluidUI 4.5
- Based on latest CyanogenMod 11 build
- Update the ROM directly from your device using OTA
- Official bootanimation
- Nova Launcher
- Fully customizable quick settings
- Esclusive Google apps called Ehndrogapps
- Tweaks designed for a very smooth system experience and better battery life
- No more ads in the apps
- Option to disable root for more security
- Send messages with exclusive Ehndroix app with a very attractive look, fully customisable and with new features
- Exceptional audio quality and volume thanks to Sony xLoud and ClearAudio
- Striking images quality thanks to Sony Bravia Engine 2 and a better density
- Fantastic official Ehndroix wallpapers
- Perfect working GPS in all countries due to the automatic fix satellites
- ROM in constant development (keep up to date thanks to date version)
- Keep safe your data with Titanium Backup installed by default
Interested users can follow our step-by-step guide to install Android 4.4.2 KitKat on Galaxy S2 I9100 using CM11 based EHNDROIX V ROM. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any device damage during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The CyanogenMod 11 based EHNDROIX V ROM and the instructions given in this guide are meant for the Galaxy S2 I9100 model only. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up data and settings using a recommended custom recovery tool, like ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup. In Recovery, choose Backup and Restore and tap Backup.
- Verify correct USB drivers for the phone are installed on the computer (download Galaxy S2 I9100 USB drivers).
- Ensure USB debugging mode is enabled on the phone, by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (NOTE: Tap the phone's Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings.) Then select the checkbox to enable USB debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Make sure the phone has at least 80% battery charge t o prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM.
- Ensure the device is unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) and rooted with latest ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery (v220.127.116.11) or install CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly which includes CWM recovery v18.104.22.168.
- If the device is stuck at booting or experiencing boot loop issues, perform Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting.
- Allow newly installed ROM to stabilise for five minutes before you start working on it.
- Android 4.4.2 KitKat EHNDROIX V ROM for Galaxy S2 I9100
- Google Apps (if this does not work, try Google Apps Full)
- CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly for I9100
Steps to Install Android 4.4.2 KitKat on Galaxy S2 I9100 with CyanogenMod 11 Based EHNDROIX V ROM
Step-1: Download Android 4.4.2 KitKat EHNDROIX V ROM for Galaxy S2 I9100 to computer
Step-2: Download Google Apps package
Step-3: Connect the Galaxy S2 to computer via USB cable. Without extracting, copy the downloaded firmware zip and Google Apps zip files to the root folder of the phone's SD card.
Step-4: Power off the phone and wait for 5 to 10 seconds until the device shuts down completely.
Step-5: Press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together, until the Galaxy S2 logo appears on screen.
Step-6: Release all three buttons at the same time to boot into recovery mode. NOTE: In recovery mode, use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select the desired option.
Step-7: Perform Wipe data/Factory reset (this will delete all apps and their settings and game progress) and choose Yes on next screen to confirm the action.
Step-8: Return to CWM recovery main menu and select Mounts and Storage > Format System and click Yes on next screen to confirm. Then perform Wipe Cache Partition. From the main menu of CWM recovery, go to Advanced and choose Wipe Dalvik Cache. Then hit Yes on next screen to confirm.
NOTE: Flash CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly before you proceed (use step 9). Once CM 10.2 Nightly is flashed, you will have access to CWM recovery v22.214.171.124 and then you can install/flash CyanogenMod 11 ROM (repeat step 9).
Step-9:Select Install Zip from sdcard and then click Choose zip from sdcard. Browse to the location of the EHNDROIX V ROM filewhich you copied earlier to your phone's SD card. Choose Yes on next screen to confirm the firmware installation.
Step-10: Repeat the previous step to install Google Apps as well.
Step-11: Once Google Apps is also installed, select "+++++Go Back+++++" and reboot the phone by tapping reboot system now from the recovery menu. Your Galaxy S2 I9100 will restart and it may take about 5 minutes for first boot. So, do not interrupt the process.
Your Galaxy S2 I9100 is now running on Android 4.4 KitKat via CyanogenMod 11 based EHNDROIX V ROM. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware installed.