The LTE enabled Galaxy S4 bearing model number GT-I9505 and powered by Snapdragon 600 quad-core processor has received a new stock firmware based on Android 4.4.2 KitKat with build number I9505XXUFNC4.
The firmware is now live for a number of countries such as France, Baltic and the Netherlands. Users of the LTE variants can install the update using either of the official methods, via OTA and Samsung Kies.
Model: Galaxy S4 LTE (GT-I9505)
Version: Android 4.4.2 KitKat
Build date: 7 March
Region: France, Baltic
Those who failed to get the OTA notification or, unable to access the update through Samsung Kies for being region specific may follow our step-by-step guide to manually install the same using Odin flashing tool.
As I9505XXUFNC4 build is an unbranded version of firmware, it can be installed on any unlocked GT-I9505 unit, irrespective of country and region.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Before installing the stock firmware, users are advised to verify their devices meet following requirements.
1) Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy S4 to connect the Android device with the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> About phone. Tap on Build Number several times until a message appears saying 'You are now a Developer.' Now go to Settings>> Developer Options to enable USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial is likely to wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP then backup data using the same.
4) If the Android phone powers off due to lack of battery while the installation process, it could damage the device. Therefore, the Galaxy S4 should have charge above 80% battery charge.
5) The device should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The phone will lose custom ROM with the installation of official firmware. Also, the custom recovery will be replaced by the stock version.
7) The device will no longer belong to a rooted version with the installation of official firmware.
8) I9505XXUFNC4 Android 4.4.2 KitKat official firmware works only with Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505. As flashing this on any other variant might brick the device, verify the model number of Galaxy S4 by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
How to install I9505XXUFNC4 Android 4.4.2 KitKat on Galaxy S4 LTE GT-I9505
Step-1: Extract the downloaded firmware zip using winrar/7zip/winzip or any other extracting tool to get a .tar.md5 file with few other files, which are optional
Step-2: Extract the Odin zip to get Odin3 v.3.07.exe with few other files
Step-3: Power off Galaxy S4
Step-4: Boot the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together until a construction Android robot icon with a warning triangle appears on the phone screen. Now press the Volume Up button to enter Download Mode
Step-5: Run Odin on the computer as an Administrator
Step-6: Connect the Galaxy S4 to computer using USB cable while it is in Download mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected successfully an Added message will appear under Odin. Also, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn light blue with COM port number, indicating successful connection
Note: If the Added message does not appear, then try to re-install USB derivers or change the USB port on the computer.
Step-7: Select these files in Odin from extracted I9505XXUFNC4 firmware folder
a) Click the PDA button and select the .tar.md5 file
b) Click the Phone button and select file with MODEM in its name
c) Click the CSC button and select file with CSC in its name
d) Click the PIT button and select the .pit file
Note: Ignore the last three steps (step-b, c and d) if such files do not exist.
Step-8: In Odin enable Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes. Click the Re-Partition checkbox if a .pit file has been chosen in the previous step
Step-9: Verify everything then click the Start button in Odin. The installation process should begin now and take about few minutes to complete
Step-10: When the installation process is completed, the phone will restart automatically and soon a PASS message with green background will appear in the extreme left box at the very top of Odin. You may now disconnect the phone from the computer
The Galaxy S4 should now be updated with I9505XXUFNC4 Android 4.4.2 stock build. Navigate to Settings>> About phone to verify the new firmware version running on the device.
How to fix bootloop issue
If the Galaxy S4 gets stuck at booting animation (after step-10), go to recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power and buttons together. Now perform Wipe data/Factory reset then Wipe Cache Partition. Once the action is completed, reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now. In recovery mode, use Volume keys to scroll between options and Power button to select the desired option. Note that performing wiping task will erase the phone's internal memory data.
[Source: Honai of Android]