Samsung has released a new firmware update, which bumps the build number to I9505XXUGNG2 for the LTE variant of Galaxy S4 using Snapdragon 600 quad-core processor. The I9505XXUGNG2 is based on Android 4.4.2 and a new build having a build date for 3 July.
The latest stock build is now live for users in Germany and an unbranded version of firmware, which means it can be installed on any unlocked GT-I9505 unit regardless of country and region.
Model name: Galaxy S4 LTE
Version: Android 4.4.2 KitKat
Build date: 3 July
Product Code: DBT
Those who are staying outside Germany and wished to update their devices with the latest stock firmware, may follow our instruction guide below.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Before installing the stock firmware, users are advised to verify their devices meet following requirements.
1) Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy S4 to connect the Android device with the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> Developer Options to enable USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial is likely to wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP then backup data using the same.
4) If the Android phone powers off due to lack of battery while the installation process, it could damage the device. Therefore, the Galaxy S4 should have charge above 80% battery charge.
5) The device should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The phone will lose custom ROM with the installation of official firmware. Also, the custom recovery will be replaced by the stock version.
7) The device will no longer belong to a rooted version with the installation of official firmware.
8) I9505XXUGNG2 Android 4.4.2 KitKat official firmware works only with LTE Galaxy S4 GT-I9505. As flashing this on any other variant might brick the device, verify the model number of Galaxy S4 by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
How to install I9505XXUGNG2 Android 4.4.2 on Galaxy S4 LTE (GT-I9505)
Step-1: Extract the downloaded firmware zip using winrar/7zip/winzip or any other extracting tool to get a .tar.md5 file with few other files, which are optional
Step-2: Extract the Odin zip to get Odin3 v.3.09.exe with few other files
Step-3: Switch off Galaxy S4 and wait for some time until the device goes off completely
Step-4: Reboot the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together
Step-5: Run Odin on the computer as an Administrator
Step-6: Connect the Galaxy S4 to computer using USB cable while it is in Download mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected successfully an Added message will appear under Odin. Also, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn light blue with COM port number, indicating successful connection
Note: If the Added message does not appear, then try to re-install USB derivers or change the USB port on the computer.
Step-7: In Odin, click the AP button and select the .tar.md5 file which was extracted earlier
Step-8: Enable Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes. Ensure that Re-Partition checkbox is not ticked
Step-9: Verify everything, and then click the Start button in Odin. The installation process should begin now and take about few minutes to complete
Step-10: When the installation process is completed, the phone will restart automatically. When the home screen appears, disconnect the phone from the computer
The I9505XXUGNG2 stock build based on Android 4.4.2 should now be installed and running on the Galaxy S4. To check the new firmware version, navigate to Settings>> About phone>> Firmware info.