We have noticed you are using an ad blocker
To continue providing news and award winning journalism, we rely on advertising revenue.
To continue reading, please turn off your ad blocker or whitelist us.
Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 P5110 is among the lucky few Android devices to taste the latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware with due credit to the release of CyanogenMod 10.1 (CM10.1) Nightly ROM from the CyanogenMod Team. Though the CM10.1 custom ROM is a nightly release (under development), it is by far the most stable and relatively faster Jelly Bean firmware than others with loads of performance optimisations under its hood.
NOTE: As the firmware is a nightly release, it may harbour a few untested bugs or broken features. However, all such issues are expected to be fixed in the upcoming updates.
Key Points to Note
- CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly ROM and the instructions given in this guide are applicable to the Wi-Fi only variant (no 3G) - Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 P5110 model only. It will not work with any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Tablet.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for the Galaxy Tab 2 on computer (download USB drivers).
- Back up important data and settings on the tablet by using one of the recommended custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the current device setup. Avoid using Samsung KIES or ROM manager as they lack flexible options for data backup and have known issues with custom ROM installations.
- Make sure that the tablet is factory unlocked and rooted with CWM recovery installed.
- Ensure that USB Debugging mode is enabled on the tablet by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if the device is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if the tablet is running Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise if the device is running Android 4.2, then do the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Tablet
- Scroll down to the bottom and select Build Number.
- Tap the Build Number for seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings. Then enable or select the checkbox for USB Debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Verify that the tablet has at least 85 percent battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during firmware installation.
- Perform a Dalvik Cache Wipe on the tablet before continuing from Recovery mode.
- Samsung KIES will not recognise your tablet after installing the CM10.1 Nightly ROM, as it is a custom release.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held responsible if you damage or brick your device during or after firmware installation. Users must proceed at their own risk.
How to Update Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 P5110 (Wi-Fi) to Android 4.2.2 CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly Jelly Bean ROM
Step 1 - Download Android 4.2.2 CM10.1 Nightly Jelly Bean ROM and Google Apps for Galaxy Tab 2 on your computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount your tablet's USB mass storage on computer with the USB cable.
Step 3 - Copy the downloaded Android 4.2.2 CM10.1 Nightly ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder of your tablet's SD card.
Step 4 - Power off the tablet and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
Step 5 - Boot the tablet into Recovery Mode. To do so, press and hold Volume Down and Power buttons together until the device reboots into CWM recovery.
Step 6 - In CWM recovery, do a full data wipe first. Then navigate to Flash zip from SD card option and hit the Power button to select it.
Step 7 - Tap the Power button again and click Choose zip from SD card.
Step 8 - Use volume keys to navigate to Android 4.2.2 ROM zip file that you copied earlier to your tablet's SD card and select it by tapping Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and the installation process will begin.
NOTE: Repeat this step for installing Google Apps as well.
Step 9 - Once both the ROM and Google Apps are installed, hit Go Back and reboot the tablet by tapping Reboot System Now in the Recovery menu. The tablet will reboot and the first boot may take about 5 minutes to complete. So, leave it alone.
Your Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 P5110 is now successfully updated to Android 4.2.2 CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly Jelly Bean ROM. Go to Settings > About Tablet to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]