The HTC Incredible S does not yet have an official Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) update, but it does now have an unofficial custom ROM update for Android 4.1 Jelly Bean.
Thanks to XDA recognised developer nikhil007mmus, Incredible S owners can now choose between two custom Jelly Bean ROMs - Codename Android and AOKP - on their favourite HTC device. Codename Android ROM, like its successor AOKP, boasts ultra-fast performance with a multitude of customisation features that promise to deliver the ultimate Android experience to the user. The ROM also adds many of the latest Jelly Bean features, including smoother interface, enhanced and customised notifications, personalised search for Google Now with voice recognition, offline voice typing, smart keyboard and more.
As the custom ROM is not an official release, it may harbour a few untested bugs or broken features. Besides, certain native features found on the stock HTC ROM may be unavailable on this ROM, as it is still under development.
According to the developer, as of 1 September, the ROM is known to have to following bugs or issues:
Known Bugs and Issues
- Camera is buggy, front camera force closes
- LED (Only Charging)
- Wifi Hotspot
- Call volume is very low or non-existent (workaround is to use headphones or loudspeaker)
- Wrong colour for notifications (orange not green)
- MMS does not work (for some carriers)
- Wi-Fi is buggy for some
- Data sometimes won't activate when enabled (Re-enter your APN settings manually may fix issue)
- Radio Strength in general is lower and slower
- YouTube/Video playback reboots phone
- Gallery is buggy
Key Points to Note
- The ROM and the instructions in the guide are applicable for the HTC Incredible S model only and will not work with any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About phone.
- IBTimes UK advises users to backup apps, critical data and settings (bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs and other internet settings) to avoid data loss while installing the Codename Android based Jelly Bean update.
- Users are advised to make sure that ClockworkMod recovery is installed on their phones and it is also S-Off before continuing with the ROM installation procedure.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Codename Android Based Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Update on HTC Incredible S
Step 1: Download the latest version of the Codename Android ROM from XDA Developers official thread posted here.
Step 2: Download the Google Apps (GApps) package from here.
Step 3: Without extracting, copy ROM and GApps zip files to the SD card.
Step 4: Now, power off the phone and boot into ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery. To do so, press and hold Volume Down and Power buttons until the device boots into bootloader/HBOOT mode. Finally, use the volume keys to check or enable the Recovery option and then click it using the power button to boot into CWM recovery. In recovery, use the Volume buttons to navigate and the Power button to select a specific option.
Strep 5: Take a Nandroid Backup of your current ROM, which allows you to recover it if something goes wrong with the new ROM. To do a backup, choose Backup and Restore and on the next screen, click Backup again. Return to main recovery menu once backup is done.
Step 6: Tap wipe data/factory reset and then click Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait until data wipe completes.
Step 7: Choose install zip from sdcard and then click choose zip from sdcard. Browse and select the ROM file on the SD card and confirm installation by clicking Yes on the next screen. The ROM will begin installing.
Step 8: Once ROM is installed, tap choose zip from sdcard again, then click the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
Step 9: After GApps is installed, choose go back then hit reboot system now to reboot the phone into Codename Android ROM. The first boot may be time consuming and take up to 5 minutes.
NOTE: If you want to return to your previous ROM, boot into recovery, choose backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
Codename Android ROM, based Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed on your Incredible S.
[Source: The Android Soul]