Sony Xperia Z tablet users are among the lucky few to enjoy the latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean features out of the box. Now, the industrious Android developers are offering the popular AOKP JB-MR1 custom ROM with latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean features for Sony's flagship device. The ROM enables the users to enjoy top customisations from original AOKP release without losing the pure (stock-like) Android experience.
Users who would like to taste a mix of both worlds (stock and custom Android) can do so, by installing the AOKP JB-MR1 ROM using our step-by-step guide provided below.
NOTE: The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if the device is damaged or bricked during or after the firmware installation. Users must proceed at their own risk.
- AOKP JB-MR1 ROM and the instructions provided in this guide are compatible with the Sony Xperia Z tablet only. Attempting this procedure on incompatible devices may inadvertently damage or brick the device. Verify the device model number by navigating to Settings > About Tablet.
- Ensure the device has at least 80% battery charge
- Make sure USB Debugging mode is enabled on the tablet by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if running Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise, if the device is running Android 4.2, then do the following:
- Go to Settings > About Tablet
- Scroll down to the bottom and select Build Number
- Tap the Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings. Then select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Verify that the device is rooted with ClockworkMod recovery (CWM) installed on it
- Make sure the correct USB drivers are installed for the tablet on computer (download Sony Xperia Z USB drivers)
- Allow the newly installed ROM to stabilise for at least five minutes before you start working. NOTE: If the device is stuck at boot or experiencing boot loop issues, then perform Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting.
How to Install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Based AOKP JB-MR1 ROM on Sony Xperia Z
1. Connect your device to computer via USB cable.
2. Without extracting, copy the downloaded files to the root folder of your tablet's SD card.
3. Disconnect the USB cable from computer and then Power off the tablet.
4. Boot the device into recovery mode by tapping the volume rocker (Up / Down buttons) a few times while rebooting the device.
5. Take a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM so that it can be restored later if the new ROM fails to work or you want to return to the original ROM. To do a backup, select Backup and Restore, then hit Backup again on next screen. Return to main recovery menu once backup is done.
6. Now, perform a full data wiping task. To do so, choose wipe data/factory reset, then click Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait for a few minutes until the data wipe process completes. Then return to CWM recovery main menu. Choose Wipe Cache Partition and once wiping process is done, click Wipe Dalvik Cache under advance option. Wait until the data wipe process completes and then proceed to the next step.
7. Select Install Zip from SD card and then click Choose Zip from SD card. Now, locate the aokp_pollux_unofficial_2013-05-19.zip file that you copied earlier in Step 2 and choose it by tapping Power button. Confirm the ROM installation by choosing Yes on the next screen and the installation will begin.
8. Once the ROM installation completes, repeat the step 7 but choose the gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip file instead of ROM zip to install Google apps.
9. Once Google Apps is also installed, return to the main recovery menu and tap reboot system now to reboot the tablet into the newly installed AOKP JB-MR1 ROM. The first boot may take some time. So, please be patient.
10. Returning to Previous ROM: To return to your previous ROM, boot the device into recovery, choose Backup and Restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
Congratulations! Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean based AOKP JB-MR1 ROM is now installed and running on your Xperia Z tablet.
[Source: Android Jinn]