Sir Tom Jones
Singer Tom Jones spoke of his disappointment at the BBC's behaviourReuters

Sir Tom Jones has criticised senior executives on BBC's The Voice for "sub-standard behaviour" after he was sacked just a day before his replacement was announced.

Sir Tom has served as a judge on the BBC talent show for the last four years and had been expecting to continue his role in series five of the talent contest.

However, he claims he was unceremoniously removed from the show "with no consultation or conversation of any kind" that might have suggested he would not be returning.

A new line-up was announced one day later, comprising Boy George,Paloma Faith and returning coaches Will.I.am and Ricky Wilson.

Writing on his official Facebook and Twitter pages, Sir Tom expressed his disappointment, accusing the executives of demonstrating a lack of respect.

He wrote on Facebook: "About The Voice UK: In good faith, as part of the team, I'd put the time in my schedule to be involved in Series 5, as I've done s for the last 4 years. I've supported the show and the BBC since the beginning.

"I was told yesterday, with no consultation or conversation of any kind, that I would not be returning. Having been through plenty of transformations throughout the years, I support and admire creative change. But being informed, as a matter of duty and respect, is an important part of creative relationships.

"This sub-standard behaviour from the executives is very disappointing. I will always admire the courage of the performers who participate in the show, as well as all the production staff who worked tirelessly to make a great family viewing experience for the audience at home. I wish the show well."

Sir Tom, who was a popular judge on the show, was flooded with messages of support from fans angered by the decision to remove him from the show. Many said they would no longer be tuning in protest.

A spokesman for the BBC said: "The final decision on the coaches' line up for series 5 of The Voice was only taken on Wednesday and Tom's team was informed early yesterday morning.

"We then announced it to the press so that it didn't leak. This has been the same every year and no role was ever promised."

The move is aimed at refreshing the show, which has in the past suffered in the ratings war with the ITV rival talent show The X Factor.

BBC One controller Charlotte Moore commented on the new line-up saying: "Boy George and Paloma will bring a wealth of musical talent, expertise and unpredictability to our new coaching line-up.

"Their originality and flair will shake things up on the red chairs and take the audience by surprise. I'm thrilled to welcome back Will.i.am and Ricky and would like to personally thank Sir Tom Jones for his dedication and commitment to the last four series."

Previous judges have included Rita Ora, Kylie Minogue, Jessie J and Danny O'Donoghue.

The singing competition will return with its fifth series in January 2016.