World Environment Day is observed every year on 5 June - a day designated by the UN to raise awareness of environmental issues.
The theme of World Environment Day 2015 is 'Seven Billion Dreams. One Planet. Consume with Care.'
Italy will serve as the host of the 2015 event, and the celebrations will be organised at the Milan Expo.
"It is an honour for Italy to work together with UNEP in leading the global celebrations for World Environment Day 2015," Italian Minister for the Environment Gian Luca Galletti said. "This year, WED will focus on the need to respect the carrying capacity of the planet and to manage natural resources efficiently—all aspects that are of utmost importance if we really want to ensure prosperity and wellbeing globally."
On the occasion, IBTimes UK has picked up the top ten quotes to mark World Environment Day 2015.
- "Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's needs, but not every man's greed." – Mahatma Gandhi
- "The environment is everything that isn't me." – Albert Einstein
- "The earth is like a beautiful bride who needs no manmade jewels to heighten her loveliness." - Khalil Gibran
- "God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought, disease, avalanches, and a thousand tempests and floods. But he cannot save them from fools." – John Muir
- "Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left." – Aldo Leopold
- "I can find God in nature, in animals, in birds and the environment." – Pat Buckley
- "We must return to nature and nature's god." – Luther Burbank
- "If we do not permit the earth to produce beauty and joy, it will in the end not produce food, either." – Joseph Wood Krutch
- "Birds are indicators of the environment. If they are in trouble, we know we'll soon be in trouble." – Roger Tory Peterson
- "We won't have a society if we destroy the environment." – Margaret Mead