The AOKP JB-MR1 nightly builds, featuring Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean, are now available for Sony's flagship smartphone, Xperia Z which is currently running on the Android 4.1.2 official version. The new custom build brings several fixes and some performance improvements. Additionally, Xperia Z users can experience many customised features and tweaks with the AOKP nightly firmware.
Xperia Z users who wish to update their handsets with Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean using AOKP JB-MR1 nightly ROM, may follow our step-by-step guide below.
As the custom ROM is going through development phases, users may come across minor bug issues with the installation. Head over to the development page to learn more about the AOKP JB-MR1 nightly version.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any mishap. Users are also advised to verify that their devices meet the following requirements before installing the ROM.
1) Install USB Driver for Sony Xperia Z to transfer files between the Android device and computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) As the tutorial is likely wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having a custom recovery such as CWM/TWRP installed then back up data using the recovery mode.
5) The bootloader of the phone should be unlocked.
6) The Xperia Z should have 80 per cent of battery charge.
7) After flashing the ROM if the device gets stuck on Booting animation or experiences boot loop, then perform wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache five more times and then reboot the device.
8) Users are advised to give five to 10 minutes to the ROM once the device boots up for the first time to settle everything for a better user experience.
9) The AOKP JB-MR1 nightly build works only on Sony Xperia Z and flashing this on any incorrect variant might brick the device.
Steps to install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean AOKP JB-MR1 nightly build on Sony Xperia Z
Step-1: Download Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean AOKP JB-MR1 nightly build for Sony Xperia Z to the computer
File name: aokp_yuga_nightly_2013-05-24.zip
Step-2: Download Google Apps package
Step-3: Plug in the USB cable to the Xperia Z to connect it with the computer. Now copy both the downloaded files to the SD card of the phone
Note: Do not extract any file.
Step-4: Unplug the USB cable from the phone to disconnect it from the computer and then turn it off
Step-5: Boot the phone into recovery mode by pressing the Volume Down button a few times while booting
Note: In recovery mode, use the Volume keys to scroll between options and the Power button to select the desired option.
Step-6: In recovery mode, perform a Nandroid backup of the existing ROM which can be restored later if the new ROM does not work or users wish to go back to the previous firmware version. To perform a Nandroid backup, select Backup and Restore and then on the next screen select Backup again. Once the action is completed, go back to the main recovery menu
Step-7: Perform data wiping task to avoid clash between the new ROM and the previous build. To do so, select wipe data/factory reset; then select Yes on the next screen to confirm the action. Wait for some time until the data wiping process is done. Now return to the main CWM recovery menu. Select wipe cache partition and after the wiping cache partition process is over, select Wipe Dalvik Cache under advance option to perform Dalvik Cache wiping. After the process is done, go back to the recovery menu
Step-8: Select install zip from sdcard then select choose zip from sdcard. Now browse to the AOKP JB-MR1 build copied to the SD card of the phone. Press the Power button to select it and confirm installation on the next screen. The ROM installation should now begin
Step-9: Once the ROM installation is completed, follow the same procedure (step-8) but now choose the Google apps file to install the same
Step-10: When the installation process is done, go back to the main recovery menu and reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now. The device will reboot now to boot up into the customised Jelly Bean ROM. The first boot will take about five minutes
The AOKP JB-MR1 nightly build, based on Android 4.2.2, should now be installed and running on Sony Xperia Z. Navigate to Settings>> About phone to verify the new software version of the device.
Note: To go back to previous ROM, boot the Xperia Z into recovery mode, select Backup and Restore then restore the ROM by selecting it from the list.
Click here for guide to install leaked Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean update on Xperia Z.
[Source: Droid Firmwares]