The latest version of MIUI (v5) ROM has been released for Xperia Z, thanks to the industrious efforts of XDA Developers senior member, Miustone. The ROM is based on CyanogenMod 10.2 stable release and offers the best custom features over stock Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware.
The MIUI v5 ROM is reportedly designed to provide a smooth, stable and highly-customisable Jelly Bean experience to the user. In addition, the ROM is said to be optimised for enhanced system performance, improved battery-life and better processing speeds.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any device damage during ROM installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
Key Points to Note
- The MIUI v5 ROM and instructions provided are limited to Sony Xperia Z model. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone
- Back up data and settings using recommended custom recovery tool such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as data wiping process is mandatory in this tutorial
- Download and installcorrect USB drivers for Xperia Z on computer
- Ensure USB debugging mode is enabled on phone by navigating to Settings > Applications > Development or Settings > Developer Options
- Double-check the device has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing ROM
- Make sure device is unlocked (not locked to specific carrier) with ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) pre-installed
- If device is stuck at booting or experiences boot loop issues, then remove battery and reinsert, Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting
- Allow newly installed ROM to stabilise for five minutes before using device
- If a Status 7 error message flashes while installing firmware, it could be due to an incompatible device or absence of a necessary kernel (for instance, a Jelly Bean Kernel must be installed before installing any Jelly Bean ROM)
How to Update Sony Xperia Z to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean via MIUI v5 ROM
- Download Android 4.2.2 MIUI v5 ROM for Sony Xperia Z. Also download Google Apps for your phone on computer
- Connect and mount phone's USB mass storage on computer via USB cable
- Copy downloaded Android 4.2.2 ROM zipandGoogle Apps zip files to root folder on phone's SD card
- Power off phone and disconnect USB cable from computer
- Now, boot phone into Recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons
- Follow onscreen instructions to enter recovery mode
- In ClockworkMod recovery, perform a full data wipe task by choosing Wipe Data / Factory Reset. Note: Use volume buttons to navigate and Power to select desired option
- Wait until wipe process completes and then perform Wipe Cache Partition. Let process complete and then select Wipe Dalvik Cache from Advance option. This will prevent ROM-related errors or boot loop issues
- Once wipe process is done, return to main recovery menu and click Install Zip from SD card
- Then select Choose Zip from SD card. Locate the Android 4.3 ROM zip file copied earlier and select by tapping Power. Confirm ROM installation on next screen and let the installation begin
- Note:Repeat previous step for installing Google Apps and choose "No" when recovery asks for disable recovery flash
- After Google Apps is also installed, choose "+++++Go Back+++++" and tap reboot system now in recovery menu. The phone will now reboot automatically and the first boot might take about five minutes to complete
The Xperia Z is now running on Android 4.2.2 based MIUI v5 ROM. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
Click here to learn about how to Root Xperia S Running Official Android 4.1.2 (6.2.B.1.96) OTA Firmware
[Source: XDA Developers]