The CyanogenMod team had earlier released the nightly version of CyanogenMod 10.1 (CM10.1) for Sony's flagship device, the Xperia Z. The team has now rolled second Release candidate (RC2) builds of CM10.1.0 for the handset. The CM10.1.0 RC2 upgrades the Xperia Z from Android 4.1.2 to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean.
The RC custom ROMs are said to be the most stable builds and can be installed for daily use. Moreover, the ROM brings an array of customised features and tweaks which are not found in the official firmware. Head over to the source page to learn more about the latest release by the CyanogenMod team.
Xperia Z users who wish to upgrade their handsets to Android 4.2.2, ahead of the official release, using the CM10.1.0 RC2 build may follow our step-by-step guide.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any mishap. Users are also advised to ensure that their devices meet following requirements.
1) Install USB Drivers for Sony Xperia Z to transfer files between the Android device and the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) As the tutorial might wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as ClockworkMod/TWRP already installed, then backup data using the recovery.
4) The Xperia Z should have above 80% battery charge.
5) The bootlaoder of Sony Xperia Z should be unlocked.
7) This CM10.1.0 RC2 ROM works only on Sony Xperia Z. Flashing this on any incorrect variant is likely to brick the device.
8) After flashing the ROM if the device gets stuck on Booting animation or experience boot loop, then perform wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache five more times before rebooting the device.
Steps to install CM10.1.0 RC2 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean build on Sony Xperia Z
Step-1: Download CM10.1.0 RC2 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM for Sony Xperia Z to the computer
Step-2: Download Google Apps package
Step-3: Connect the Xperia Z to the computer using USB cable. Ensure that it is connected in USB Mass Storage option
Step-4: Copy both the downloaded zip files to the SD card of the phone. Do not extract any files
Step-5: Disconnect the phone from the computer and switch it off
Step-6: Boot the Xperia Z into recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together. The device will be in recovery mode soon
Note: In recovery mode, use the Volume buttons to scroll between options and the Power button to select the desired options.
Step-7: Perform a Nandroid backup of the existing ROM which can be restored later if the new ROM does not work or in case users wish to go back to the previous firmware. To do so, select Backup and Restore, then select Backup again on the next screen. Once the action is completed go back to main recovery menu
Step-8: Perform data wiping task to avoid clash between the new ROM and the previous ROM. Select wipe data/factory reset and then select Yes on the next screen to confirm the action. Wait for sometime until data wipe is completed and then return to the main recovery menu. Select wipe cache partition and after the wiping process is done select Wipe Dalvik Cache under advance option to perform Dalvik cache wiping. Once the action is completed, go back to the recovery menu
Step-9: Select install zip from sdcard and then select choose zip from sdcard and then navigate to the CM10.1.0 RC2 ROM zip earlier copied to the SD card of the phone. Press the Power button to select it and confirm installation
Step-10: Once the ROM is installed, follow the same procedure (step-9) but this time choose the Google Apps zip to install the same
Step-11: When the installation process is completed, return to the main recovery menu and reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now.
Note: To go back to previous ROM, boot the Xperia Z into recovery mode. Then select Backup and Restore and then restore the ROM by selecting it from the list.
As the Sony Xperia Z boots up successfully, it should be running on CM10.1.0 RC2 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM. Verify the new software on the device by selecting Menu>> Settings>> About Phone>> Software info.
Click here for tutorial to root Sony Xperia Z on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean
[Source: Droid Lawn]