Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew has underlined the importance of securing a replacement for Yohan Cabaye as Arsenal reportedly ponder another bid for the Frenchman.
The 27-year-old midfielder was once again omitted from the match day squad as the Magpies struggled to a 0-0 draw with West Ham Untied on Saturday, having also been absent from Newcastle's drubbing at the hands of Manchester City last Monday.
Reports in the Sunday press suggest Cabaye is now refusing to play another game for the club after Newcastle dismissed a bid in the region of £10m from Arsenal.
Newcastle are already under considerable pressure to add to their squad and Pardew wants Cabaye's situation addressed as quickly as possible, but wants a replacement identified if his prized midfielder leaves St James' Park.
"The Cabaye situation needs to resolve itself one way or the other because if we lose him we need to replace him," Pardew told Sky Sports.
Despite their thin squad, Newcastle have failed to considerably bolster their squad after narrowly surviving relegation to the Championship at the end of last season.
The club's only incoming business thus far has been the arrivals of Olivier Kemen on a free transfer from Metz and Loic Remy, on a season long loan from Queens Park Rangers.
Pardew has been vocal in the club's need to add to their squad, but with director of football Joe Kinnear in charge of the club's transfer dealings, he has been frustrated by a lack of movement.
Earlier this week the Newcastle manager stressed the importance of signing a striker capable of filling the void of Demba Ba, who left the club for Chelsea in the January transfer window.
"We are still short. We are short of Demba Ba," Pardew told the Newcastle Chronicle. "That's what it looks like and until Remy is fit or we get another striker, it will be a problem for us.
"We've still got a very good team with Remy on top of it. I still think one more would the perfect scenario."