Samsung recently rolled out yet another Jelly Bean update via Android 4.2.2 XXUAMDL firmware for its flagship device, Galaxy S4 I9500. The latest official firmware is now available for download in select countries over Samsung KIES as well as via Over-The-Air (OTA) update. However, those who missed the twin opportunities can now grab this firmware manually using our step-by-step guide given below.
As this is a carrier unbranded firmware, it should work on any Galaxy S4 I9500 (Exynos 5) handset, which is factory unlocked (both carrier and bootloader unlocked). The firmware is now available for manual download and installation, with due credit to XDA Recognised Developer and Contributor, Faryaab (for uploading the link), and SamMobile (for sharing the download link).
Galaxy S4 I9500 (Exynos 5) Receives Official Android 4.2.2 XXUAMDL Jelly Bean Firmware
Head over to the developer source page to read more about the new official firmware.
NOTE: The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable if device is damaged or bricked during or after the firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The Android 4.2.2 XXUAMDL official firmware and the instructions given in this guide are applicable to the Galaxy S4 I9500 model only. Do not attempt to install this firmware on incompatible devices, as it may permanently damage or brick your device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Install the necessary USB drivers for Galaxy S4 on the computer (download Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500 USB drivers)
- Ensure USB Debugging mode is enabled on the phone, by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device runs Android 4.0 or later) or Settings >Applications> Development (if device runs Android 2.3 or earlier). If device runs Android 4.2, perform the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll to bottom of screen and select Build Number
- Tap the phone's Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings. Then select the checkbox to enable USB debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Make sure the phone has at least 80 percent battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM.
- Ensure device is unlocked(not locked to a specific carrier).
- Allow the newly installed ROM to stabilise for five minutes before you start working.
How to Install Official Android 4.2.2 XXUAMDL Jelly Bean Firmware on Galaxy S4 I9500
Step 1: Download official Android 4.2.2 XXUAMDL Jelly Bean firmware for Galaxy S4 I9500 on your computer.
Step 2: Download Odin v3.07 which is needed to install the official firmware on your phone.
Step 3: Extract the downloaded firmware and Odin zip files to obtain .tar.md5 and Odin3 v3.07.exe along with few other files.
Step 4: Switch off the phone and wait for the vibration (about 5 to 6 seconds) to confirm complete device shutdown.
Step 5: Boot the phone into Download mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power button together until the device Powers on. Then tap the Volume Up button to proceed into Download mode.
Step 6: Launch Odin on computer as an Administrator, as Admin privileges are required to complete the firmare flashing process smoothly.
Step 7: Connect the phone to computer with USB cable, while the phone is still in Download mode. When Odin detects the device, a message reading "Added!" appears on the screen and the ID: COM box turns yellow with the corresponding COM port number. However, if Odin fails to detect the device, then just reinstall the USB drivers for your phone on computer.
Step 8: Select the following files in Odin from extracted I9500XXUAMDL firmware folder by using respective checkboxes:
- Choose the PDA checkbox, and select the file named .tar or .md5.
- Click the Phone checkbox, and choose the file with 'modem' in its name (ignore if there is no such file)
- Select the CSC checkbox, and choose the file with 'CSC' in its name (ignore if such file is missing)
- Choose the PIT checkbox, and click the .pit file. Use only the file obtained during extraction in step 1, otherwise ignore it.
Step 8: In Odin, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checkboxes. Also, ensure the Re-Partition checkbox is chosen only if a .pit file was used in the previous step.
Step 9: Verify everything mentioned in Step 7 and Step 8 is done correctly. Then hit the START button in Odin to begin the flashing process.
Step 10: Once the firmware flashing completes, your phone will reboot and a PASS message with green background appears in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. You can now remove the USB cable to disconnect your device from computer.
Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500 is now updated with official Android 4.2.2 XXUAMDL Jelly Bean firmware. Head over to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware running on the device.
Troubleshooting: If the phone is stuck at booting animation after Step 10 then go to recovery mode (press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together) and perform Wipe data/Factory Reset and Wipe Cache Partition before choosing reboot system now. NOTE: Use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select an option in recovery. Please note that performing wiping task will erase your device internal memory data and not external SD card data.
[Source: Honai of Android]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader