The Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250 has received a flurry of custom ROM Jelly Bean firmware in recent times while there have been only a few stock firmware updates from Samsung. With due credit to the industrious XDA Developers member - itasoulas, the premium Nexus smartphone now gets official JOP40D (stock) based Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean Overdrive ROM, which is rooted, deodexed and zipaligned.
The Overdrive ROM also features BusyBox, init.d support, prop tweaks, thunderbolt scripts, and the Franco kernel. The stock based custom ROM also brings great mods such as Beats + XLOUDER, Volume rocker wake, a quick settings mod, an extended power menu, and more.
Key Points to Note
- Official JOP40D (stock) based Overdrive ROM and the instructions given in this guide are compatible only with the international variant - Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250 model. It will not work on any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- IBTimes UK advises users to back up apps, important data and settings to avoid data loss while flashing the Android 4.2.1 Overdrive ROM on the Galaxy Nexus phone.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of installing the official stock-based Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean firmware. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- Make sure that your Nexus phone's Bootloader is unlocked and the device is rooted with ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) installed on it.
- Verify that the phone has at least 70 percent battery charge to avoid unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean firmware.
- Download Overdrive ROM (maguro)
How to Install Official JOP40D (Stock) Based Android 4.2.1 Overdrive ROM on Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250
1. Copy maguro_OVERDRIVE_2.7_signed.zip to the root folder on phone's SD card.
2. Power off your phone and boot into Recovery Mode. To do so, press and hold Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons together until the device boots into Fastboot Mode. Now, choose Recovery by using Volume keys and hit Power button to boot into ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM).
- Note: Use Volume keys to navigate and Power button to select an option in recovery.
3. Take a NANDroid backup of your existing ROM. To do a backup, select Backup and Restore and hit Backup again.
4. Wipe your data on phone by doing the following:
- Choose Advanced, click Wipe Dalvik Cache and hit Yes to confirm.
- Click Wipe Cache Partition and select Yes to confirm.
- Hit Advanced, select Wipe Battery Stats and click Yes to confirm.
- Choose Wipe Data/Factory Reset and click Yes to confirm.
- Navigate to Mounts and Storage, click Format /System and select Yes to confirm
5. Click Install ZIP from SD card and hit Choose ZIP from SD card. Now, select Overdrive (maguro) ROM and clcik Yes to confirm.
6. Finally, hit Go Back and tap Reboot System Now.
You have now successfully flashed the Overdrive ROM to your Samsung Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250.
[Source: Android Authority]