Samsung recently rolled out its latest Jelly Bean Over-The-Air (OTA) update, Android 4.1.2 XXLPE, for Galaxy S Advance GT-I9070P. The latest Jelly Bean update is currently unavailable via Samsung KIES. Those who have already received the OTA notification can proceed with installing the update. However, those who missed the OTA update notification can flash the same manually by using our step-by-step guide posted below.
NOTE: The installation of this firmware requires no custom recovery tool or rooting package, as it can be directly installed via ODIN flash tool. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable if the device is damaged or bricked during or after the firmware installation, and users must proceed at their own risk.
Android 4.1.2 XXLPE Jelly Bean Firmware Details:
Date: April, 2013
- Android 4.1.2 XXLPE official firmware is meant for the Galaxy S Advance GT-I9070P model only and will not work on any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up important data and settings on the phone to avoid data loss while installing the firmware.
- Ensure the phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown during firmware installation that could inadvertently brick or damage the device.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for the phone on computer (download Galaxy S Advance GT-I9070P USB drivers)
- Enable USB Debugging mode on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if phone is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if device is running Android 2.3 or earlier).
- Make sure the device is both carrier unlocked and bootloader unlocked to prevent issues with firmware installation.
- ODIN is designed to install the firmware via Windows OS. But Linux or Mac OS users should use CrossOver utility to run ODIN.
How to Install Official Android 4.1.2 XXLPE Jelly Bean OTA Update on Galaxy S Advance GT-I9070P
Step 2: Extract the downloaded zip files to a desired location on your desktop. The extracted folder should have a .tar.md5 file and some other files (optional).
Step 3: Extract Odin zip file to get Odin3 v3.07.exe as well as few other files.
Step 4: Power off the phone and wait for vibration (about 5 to 6 seconds) to confirm complete device shutdown. Then boot the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding the Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together until a construction Android robot icon appears on the screen. Hit the Volume Up button again to progress into Download Mode.
Step 5: Launch Odin3 v3.07.exe as an Administrator, as Admin privileges are required to complete the installation process. Right-click on ODIN and choose Run as administrator from context menu.
Step 6: Connect the phone to the computer with a USB cable. When the phone connects successfully, the ID: COM box turns Yellow with the corresponding COM port number.
Step 7: Choose the following files from I9070PXXLPE folder that you obtained in Step 2 in Odin, using respective buttons:
- Select the PDA checkbox, and choose the file named '.tar.md5'
- Click the Phone checkbox, and select the file named 'modem' (ignore if file not found in extracted folder)
- Choose the CSC checkbox, and click the file named 'CSC' (ignore if the file is absent)
- Select the PIT checkbox, and choose the .pit file. (ignore if no such file is found)
Step 8: In Odin, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options by selecting their checkboxes. But the Re-Partition checkbox should be selected, only if a .pit file was chosen in the previous step in ODIN.
Step 9: Verify Step 7 and Step 8 are done correctly. Then hit the START button in ODIN to begin flashing the firmware.
Step 10: Once the firmware installation completes, the phone will reboot automatically and soon a PASS message with green background appears in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. It is now safe to remove the USB cable to disconnect your device from computer.
Your Galaxy S Advance I9070P is now running official Android 4.1.2 XXLPE Jelly Bean update. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware update.
If the phone is stuck at boot animation or Samsung logo after Step 10, then go to recovery mode (press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together) and perform Wipe data/Factory Reset and Wipe Cache Partition before choosing reboot system now function. NOTE: Use Volume keys to navigate between options and the Power key to select an option in recovery. Please note that performing wiping function will erase data only on your phone's internal memory and not the SD card.
[Source: Droid Firmwares]