Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 users can finally enjoy a working build of Android 4.3 (Jelly Bean), thanks to the release of CyanogenMod 10.2 (CM10.2) custom ROM. The CM10.2 nightly ROM more than compensates for the lack of official support to Android 4.3 firmware via latest custom Jelly Bean features.
The CM01.2 ROM is based on the original Android Open Source Project (AOSP) release, which offers very fast and highly stable Jelly Bean experience for Galaxy S2 users.
Key Points to Note
- The CyanogenMod 10.2 ROM and the instructions provided are limited to Galaxy S2 I9100 model only. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up data and settings using a recommended custom recovery tool such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as data wiping process is mandatory in this tutorial.
- Download and install the correct USB drivers for Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 on computer.
- Ensure USB debugging mode is enabled on phone by navigating to Settings > Applications > Development or Settings > Developer Options.
- Double-check that device has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing ROM.
- Verify if the device is unlocked (not locked to specific carrier) and rooted with ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) installed.
- If device is stuck at booting or experiences boot loop issues, Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting.
- Allow newly installed ROM to stabilise for five minutes before using the device.
- If a Status 7 error message flashes while installing firmware, it could be due to an incompatible device or absence of a necessary kernel (for instance, a Jelly Bean Kernel must be installed before installing any Jelly Bean ROM).
Steps to Install Android 4.3 Jelly Bean via CyanogenMod 10.2 ROM on Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100
Step-2: Connect the phone to computer via USB cable. Without extracting the zip file, copy the downloaded firmware zip to the root folder on phone's SD card.
Step-3: Disconnect the phone from computer and then Power it off.
Step-4: Boot the phone into recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together. Release all three buttons when the recovery mode screen appears.
Note: In recovery mode, use Volume buttons to navigate between options and Power button to select the desired option.
Step-5: In recovery mode first perform a Nandroid backup of the existing ROM which can be restored later if the new ROM does not work or users want to return to the previous firmware. To perform a Nandroid backup, select Backup and Restore then select Backup again on the next screen. When backup is completed return to the main recovery menu.
Step-6: Perform data wiping task to eliminate clash between the new ROM and the previous ROM. Select wipe data/factory reset then select Yes on the next screen to confirm the action. Now select wipe cache partition and after the wiping process completes select Wipe Dalvik Cache under advance option. Once all the wiping process is done, return to the recovery menu.
Step-7: Select Install Zip from SD card then select Choose Zip from SD card. Now locate the Android 4.3 CyanogenMod 10.2 ROM zip which was copied earlier to the phone's SD card and press the Power button to select it. Finally, confirm the ROM installation on next screen.
Step-8: Once the installation process completes, return to the main recovery menu and reboot the phone by choosing reboot system now. The first boot will take some time.
The Galaxy S2 I9100 should now be running on latest Android 4.3 based CyanogenMod 10.2 ROM. Navigate to Settings >> About Phone >> Software info to verify the new firmware installed on the device.
Note: To return to the previous ROM, boot the device into recovery mode. Then select Backup and Restore and restore the ROM by selecting it from the list.
[Source: Team Android]