Galaxy S2 GT I9100 users can now rejoice over the release of the latest custom ROM firmware with Android 4.2 Apps pack called "Jellybam" firmware. Galaxy S2 phones are among the few devices to harness the power of Android 4.2 Apps via custom ROMs, given the uncertainty over the release date of the latest official Jelly Bean update (Android 4.2) from Samsung.
Key Features of Android 4.2 Jellybam ROM for Galaxy S2 GT I9100
- Overall features of AOKP, CM10 and PARANOID
- Custom JellyBam Settings with preferences
- Tons of customisations
- Themes and Mods in JellyBam style
- Aroma installer
- Latest CM10/AOKP vsync patched Kernel
- Latest Siyah and DorimanX
- Google apps from android 4.2
- New Mali driver
- Exynos HWComposer
- Lockscreen with x8 Custom app targets
- Gallery, Camera and KeyBoard from 4.2
- Clock from android 4.2
- Google play music from android 4.2
- Photo sphere and panorama works
Galaxy S2 users who cannot wait for the official release can enjoy all the aforementioned features of Android 4.2 now, due to the efforts of custom ROM developers at iGio90.
- The Android 4.2 Jellybam ROM and the instructions given in this guide are applicable only to the international version Galaxy S2 GT I9100 model and will not work on any other device. Verify your phone's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Users are advised to back up important apps, personal data and settings to avoid data loss while flashing the Jellybam custom ROM on their Galaxy S2 devices. It is advisable not to backup your data using Samsung KIES PC tool, as it will not recognise your phone after installing the custom ROM Jelly Bean update. Be advised that the use of ROM Manager for data backup may brick your device and hence it is not recommended.
- Verify that your phone's battery is at least 85 percent charged to avoid unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the Android 4.2 Jelly Bean Apps pack.
- Enable USB debugging mode by navigating to Settings > Application > Development and check the USB debugging option. This feature helps in connecting your Android phone with the computer.
- Download and install the Root Checker app from Google Play Store which helps you to determine if your phone is actually rooted or not.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not support any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using the Jellybam firmware update.
How to Install Jellybam ROM Based Android 4.2 Jelly Bean on Galaxy S2 I9100
- Download the custom ROM Jellybam 4.2 Firmware Package from here to your computer. Once the ROM is downloaded, connect your phone to the computer using an USB cable and then copy the ROM zip file to the root folder on your phone's SD card.
- After copying the ROM file, unplug your phone from the computer and power off the device.
- Boot into recovery mode by pressing and holding down Volume Up and Home buttons together, and then press the Power button.
- Once the device powers on, it will boot into recovery mode. Now, select Wipe data /factory reset and click Wipe Cache partition. If the device boots into Normal mode, then you need to repeat the previous step to reboot into recovery mode.
- As an alternative, you can also reboot into recovery mode through the ROM manager app that can be downloaded from the Google Play Store.
- In Recovery mode, choose install Zip from SD card option and browse to the location of the ROM zip file that you copied to your phone's SD card.
- Select the ROM file and wait until it completes processing the device.
- After sometime you will see a message: "installing from SD card completed" at the bottom of the screen. Now, click Go back and then select Reboot System Now. Your phone will now reboot in the normal mode and the first boot after the ROM installation is usually time-consuming. So, leave it alone.
- To verify if the Android 4.2 ROM has been installed successfully go to Settings > About Phone.
[Source: Android Advices]