Galaxy S2 I9100G has finally received an official Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) update, thanks to the release of JPLPB ROM based Android 4.0.4 update over Samsung KIES. However, those unable to access the official firmware update through KIES can now download the update manually using the instructions given below.
The JPLPB ROM is based on the latest Android 4.0.4 build that launched recently (October 2012). This guide takes you through the process of updating Galaxy S2 I9100G to JPLPB based Android 4.0.4 ICS update using ODIN software.
Key Points to Note
- The JPLPB ROM and the instructions given in this guide are compatible with the Galaxy S2 I9100G model only and will not work with any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- As this is an official release for Android 4.0.4 ICS update, you will lose root access to the phone soon after installing the update. You need to root your Galaxy S2 device once again after installing the ROM to regain full system access and promote installation of root apps again.
- IBTimes UK advises users to back up apps, important personal data and settings to avoid data loss while installing the ICS update.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using the JPLPB firmware update. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- Ensure that the correct USB drivers are installed for your Samsung Galaxy S2 smartphone to enable connectivity with the computer. Download Galaxy S2 I9100G USB drivers.
- Enable USB debugging mode to help connectivity of your Android phone with the computer. To do so, navigate to Settings > Application > Development and check USB debugging option.
- Verify that the phone's battery is at least 85 percent charged to avoid unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while flashing the official JPLPB ROM based ICS update.
- Make sure that your phone is factory unlocked before proceeding with the JPLPB ROM installation procedure.
How to Install JPLPB Based Official Android 4.0.4 ICS Update on Galaxy S2 I9100G
Step 1 - Download Android 4.0.4 I9100GJPLPB ROM for Galaxy S2 on your computer and extract the zip file.
Step 2 - Download ODIN v1.85 which is needed to install Android 4.0.4 update on Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G.
Step 3 - Power off your phone and reboot into Download Mode. To do so, press and hold the Volume Down and Home buttons together, and then simultaneously tap the Power button until you see the construction Android robot icon with a triangle. Hit the Power button again to confirm progress into Download Mode.
Step 4 - Launch ODIN on your computer and connect your phone to it while your phone is still in Download Mode.
Step 6 - If your phone connects successfully, one of the ID: COM boxes will indicate yellow with the corresponding COM port number. This step is time-consuming. Do not be impatient.
Step 7 - Now, choose the files needed to flash/install on your phone, which may be found among the extracted files in Step 1.
- Click the PDA button and choose the file named 'CODE'.
- Tap the Phone button and choose the file named 'MODEM'. Ignore this step if such file is missing.
- Click the 'CSC' button and select file named CSC' in its name. Ignore this step if such file is absent.
- Finally, hit PIT button and choose the .pit file. Ignore this step if there is no such file.
- Step 8 - In ODIN, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options. In case of the Re-Partition option, check it ONLY if you chose a .pit file in the previous step.
Step 9 - Now, click Start button in ODIN and the installation process should begin, which may be time-consuming, taking about 5 minutes to complete.
Step 10 - Once the JPLPB ROM is installed, your phone will reboot. When you see the home screen, disconnect your phone from the computer.
JPLPB based Android 4.0.4 ICS update is now successfully installed on your Galaxy S2 I9100G. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]