The LTE variant of Galaxy S4 Mini received Android 4.4.2 software in the beginning of this month. Now Samsung has pushed out a similar stock firmware update for the 3G variant of handset (GT-I9190).
The Android KitKat firmware brings a new experience with revamped TouchWiz UI and performance improvements for the Mini version of the handset, which was running Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.
The KitKat update bumps the build number of the device to I9190XXUCNG1. Currently the new stock build is available for Galaxy S4 Mini users in Russia. Users can grab the update via OTA and Samsung Kies server.
Model name: Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
Version: Android 4.4.2 KitKat
Build date; 3 July 2014
Product code: SER
Those who failed to get the OTA notification or access the update via Kies server for being region specific, may follow the installation guide below to update 3G model of Galaxy S4 Mini to I9190XXUCNG1 Android 4.4.2.
As the I9190XXUCNG1 build is an unbranded version of firmware it can be installed on any GT-I9190 unit, irrespective of country and region.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Before installing the stock firmware, users are advised to verify their devices meet following requirements.
1) Install USB Drivers for Galaxy S4 Mini to connect the Android device with the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> Developer Options to enable USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial is likely to wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP then backup data using the same.
4) If the Android phone powers off due to lack of battery while the installation process, it could damage the device. Therefore, the Galaxy S4 Mini should have charge above 80% battery charge.
5) The device should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The phone will lose custom ROM with the installation of official firmware. Also, the custom recovery will be replaced by the stock version.
7) The device will no longer belong to a rooted version with the installation of official firmware.
8) I9190XXUCNG1 Android 4.4.2 KitKat stock firmware works only with Galaxy S4 Mini 3G GT-I9190. As flashing this on any other variant might brick the device, verify the model number of Galaxy S4 by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
How to install I9190XXUCNG1 Android 4.4.2 on Galaxy S4 Mini GT-I9190
Step-1: Extract the downloaded firmware zip using winrar/7zip/winzip or any other extracting tool to get a .tar.md5 file with few other files, which are optional
Step-2: Extract the Odin zip to get Odin3 v.3.09.exe with few other files
Step-3: Switch off the S4 Mini and wait for some time until the device goes off completely
Step-4: Reboot the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding Home, Power and Volume Down buttons together
Step-5: Run Odin on the computer as an Administrator
Step-6: Connect the S4 Mini to computer using USB cable while it is in Download mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected successfully an Added message will appear under Odin. Also, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn light blue with COM port number, indicating successful connection
Note: If the Added message does not appear, then try to re-install USB derivers or change the USB port on the computer.
Step-7: In Odin, click the AP button and select the .tar.md5 file which was extracted earlier
Step-8: Enable Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes. Ensure that Re-Partition checkbox is not ticked
Step-9: Double check everything then click the Start button in Odin. The installation process should begin now and take about few minutes to complete
Step-10: When the installation process is completed, the phone will restart automatically. Once the home screen appears, disconnect the phone from the computer
The Galaxy S4 Mini should now be updated with the KitKat firmware with Android version 4.4.2. Head over to Settings>> About phone to verify the new software version running on the handset.
[Source: Team Android]