The CyanogenMod team recently rolled out its latest build of Release Candidate ROM, CyanogenMod 10.1 RC5 (CM10.1 RC5), for several Android devices including HTC One X, Xperia Tablet Z, Xperia Z and ZL, Galaxy S GT-I9000 and Galaxy S2 GT-I9100G. Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3110 is the latest entrant to join the party, thanks to the release of latest CM10.1 ROM for the device.
The CM10.1 RC5 ROM is based on original Android Open Source Project (AOSP) release, which reportedly offers better performance and stability than stock Android variants. IBTimes UK brings you a step-by-step guide to install the latest CyanogenMod 10.1 RC5 ROM on your Galaxy Tab 2, courtesy of Droid Firmwares.
NOTE: Instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held responsible if the device is damaged or bricked during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The CyanogenMod 10.1 RC5 ROM works on Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3110 (Wi-Fi) model only. Installing this firmware on incompatible variants might brick the device. So, verify the model number of the device by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Download and install the USB drivers for Galaxy Tab 2 P3110 to enable file transfer capability between the tablet and computer.
- Back up important data and settings such as call logs, contacts, SMS, MMS, APNs and other internet settings on the phone.
- Enable USB Debugging mode from Settings > Developer Options (if tablet is running on Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if device is running Android 2.3 or earlier).
- Make sure the Galaxy Tab 2 has at least 80% battery charge.
- Ensure the device is both carrier unlocked and bootloader unlocked.
- Verify that the tablet is rooted with ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery installed on it.
- After installing the ROM, if the device is stuck at Booting animation or experiences boot loop issues, then perform wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache a few more times before rebooting.
- Allow the newly installed ROM to stabilise for five minutes after first boot, before you start working.
- If Status 7 error appears on screen, it could be due to a wrong device being flashed or a necessary kernel might be missing (for instance, a Jelly Bean kernel must be installed before installing the Jelly Bean ROM)
How to Install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Based CyanogenMod 10.1 RC5 ROM on Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3110
Step 2: Connect and mount your tablet's SD card on computer via USB cable.
Step 3: Without extracting, copy downloaded ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder of your device's SD card.
Step 4: Power off the tablet and disconnect its USB cable from computer, after the file transfer process completes.
Step 5: Boot the tablet into ClockworkMod recovery. To do so, press and hold Volume Up and Power buttons together until the Samsung logo appears on screen. Then release the Power button but keep the Volume Up button pressed for a few more seconds to enter CWM recovery. NOTE: Use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select an option in recovery.
Step 6: Perform a Nandroid backup of your existing ROM so that it can be restored later if the new ROM fails to work or you want to return to original ROM. To take a backup, choose Backup and Restore and then hit Backup on next screen. Return to main recovery menu once backup is complete.
Step 7: Do a full data wiping task to eliminate conflicts between newly installed ROM and previous ROM. To do so, first click Wipe Data/Factory Reset, then choose Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait for a few minutes until the data wipe process completes. Then return to CWM recovery main menu and choose Wipe Cache Partition. Wait until the process completes and then select Wipe Dalvik Cache under advance option. Once the entire data wiping task completes, proceed to the next step.
Step 8: Choose Install Zip from SD card and then click Choose Zip from SD card. Now, browse to the cm-10.1.0-RC5-p3110.zip file that you copied earlier in Step 3 and select it by tapping Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and soon the installation process will begin.
Step 9: After the ROM installation is complete, repeat step 8 but choose gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip instead of ROM zip file to install Google apps.
Step 10: Once both the ROM and Google Apps are installed, return to the main recovery menu and hit Reboot System Now. The tablet will now boot into the newly installed ROM. But, the first boot may take about 5 to 15 minutes to complete. So, please be patient and do not interrupt the process.
Returning to Previous ROM: To return to your previous ROM: boot into Recovery, choose Backup and Restore then restore your previous ROM by choosing it from the list.
The Galaxy Tab 2 P3110 is now powered by Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean based CyanogenMod 10.1 RC5 ROM. Go to Settings > About Tablet to verify the firmware installed.