Samsung has pushed out Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean software update with base firmware XXDMG6 for the international 3G and Wi-Fi version of Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 bearing model number GT-P3100, which is currently running on Android version 4.1.2.
The Android 4.2.2 software, as Sammobile notes, brings several new features and changes such as dedicated notification panel in the status bar, lockscreen widgets, multiple user accounts, better accessibility, DayDream, new widgets and launcher from the Galaxy S4. The update is expected to bring improvements in performance and battery life.
The update is rolled out for the Galaxy Tab users from France and is expected to reach other parts across the world soon. The new official build is available as Over-The-Air (OTA) update and through Samsung KIES server. The P3100XXDMG6 is an unbranded version of firmware and can be installed on any GT-P3100 units except those which are from China, Hong Kong and Taiwan.
Version: Android 4.2.2
Build date: 29 July, 2013
Product code: XEF
Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (P3100) users who live outside France and failed to get the OTA update for being region specific, may follow our step-by-step guide to install the update manually (Courtesy of Android Jinn).
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any mishap. Users are advised to verify that their devices meet following requirements.
1) Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 on the computer to connect the Android device with computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the tablet to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and check the USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial is likely to wipe all data of the tablet, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as ClockworkMod/TWRP already installed then backup all the data using the recovery.
4) Ensure the battery of the Galaxy tablet is having charge above 80%.
5) The tablet should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The device will no longer belong to a rooted version once official firmware is installed.
7) The tablet will lose custom firmware with the installation of official build. Additionally, it will lose custom recovery which will be replaced by stock recovery.
8) XXDMG6 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean works only with Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 GT-P3100. As flashing this on any incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number of the Galaxy device by navigating to Settings>> About tablet>> Model number.
Steps to install XXDMG6 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3100
Step-1: Download XXDMG6 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean official update for Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 to the computer
Step-2: Extract the downloaded firmware zip using winrar/7zip/winzip or any other extracting tool to get a file with .tar.md5 extension with some other files
Step-3: Download Odin v3.07 which will help to install the Jelly Bean firmware. Extract the Odin zip to get Odin3 v3.07.exe and few other files
Step-4: Turn off the Galaxy tablet and wait for about five to six seconds for vibration to confirm complete power off
Step-5: Boot the Galaxy Tab into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Power buttons together. A warning screen will appear, now press the Volume Up button to continue to enter into Download Mode
Step-6: Run Odin3 v3.07.exe on the computer as an Administrator
Step-7: Connect the tablet to the computer using USB cable while it is in the Download Mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the tablet is connected to the computer successfully, an Added message will appear under Odin message box. Also, the ID:COM box in Odin will turn blue with the COM port number indicating successful connection
Note: If the Added message does not come then try another USB port, try the one located at the back side of the computer. In case Odin still fails to recognise the device then re-install USB driver.
Step-8: Now select these files extracted from P3100XXDMG6 folder to install on the tablet
a) Click the PDA button and select the file with .tar.md5 extension
b) Click the Phone button and select file with MODEM in its name
c) Click the CSC button and select file with CSC in its name
d) Click the PIT and select the .pit file
Note: Ignore the last three steps (b, c and d) in case such files are not found.
Step-9: Configure Odin settings. Ensure the Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes are selected. As for the Re-Partition, uncheck the option and select only when a .pit file is being used
Step-10: When everything is set, click the Start button in Odin. The installation process should begin now and would take few minutes to complete
Step-11: Once the installation process is completed, the tablet will restart automatically. And soon a PASS message with green background will appear in the extreme left box at the very top of Odin. Unplug the USB cable from the tablet to disconnect it from the computer
XXDMG6 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean official update should be now installed and running on the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. Head over to Settings>> About tablet to verify the new software version of the device.
How to fix bootloop issue:
If the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 gets stuck at boot animation or experience bootloop (after step-11) then go to recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up and Power buttons together. In the recovery mode, perform data wiping task by selecting wipe data/factory reset then select Wipe Cache Partition. When the wiping task is done, reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now.In recovery mode, use the Volume buttons to navigate between options and Power button to select the desired option. It should be noted that performing data wiping task will erase the internal memory data of the device.