Custom Android developers have lately been busy churning out a flurry of CyanogenMod 10 based Jelly Bean ROMs. The Chameleon ROM is the latest entrant to join the Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean) party, which brings a multitude of new features, customisation options and greatly enhances the speed and performance of your Galaxy S2 I9100G.
NOTE: As the ROM is still under development, it may harbour a few untested bugs or broken features, which will be fixed in the upcoming updates. IBTimes UK reminds it readers that it will not be held responsible if the device is damaged or bricked during or after the firmware installation.
- Chameleon ROM and the instructions given in this guide are applicable to the international variant Galaxy S2 I9100G model only and will not work on any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up important data, apps and settings on the phone to avoid data loss while installing the ROM.
- Ensure the phone's battery has at least 80 percent charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during firmware installation.
- Enable USB Debugging mode on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if phone is running Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise if device is running Android 4.2, then do the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and select Build Number
- Tap the Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings. Now, select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Ensure that the device is factory unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) and rooted with CWM recovery installed on it. Download and install Root Checker app from Google Play Store to verify if the device is actually rooted or not.
- If the device is stuck at booting or experiencing boot loop issues, then perform Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting.
- Allow the newly installed ROM to stabilise for at least five minutes before working on it.
How to Install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on Galaxy S2 I9100G via Chameleon ROM
Step 2: Connect and mount the Galaxy S2 USB mass storage on computer with USB cable.
Step 3: Copy the downloaded ROM and Google Apps zip files (without extracting) to the root folder on the phone's SD card.
Step 4: Power off the device and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
Step 5: Boot the device into Recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together.
Step 6 - In ClockworkMod Recovery, do a full data wipe task by choosing Wipe Data/Factory Reset. NOTE: Use Volume keys to navigate and Power button to select an option in Recovery Mode.
Step 7 - Do Wipe Cache Partition and wait until the process completes. Now, perform a Wipe Dalvik Cache from advanced option in CWM recovery. This will prevent boot loop issues and any ROM related errors during firmware installation.
Step 9 - Return to the main recovery menu and click Install Zip from SD card.
Step 10 - Select Choose Zip from SD card. Use volume keys to navigate to Chameleon ROM zip file that you copied earlier to your phone's SD card and choose it by tapping Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and the installation process should begin.
NOTE: Repeat Step 10 for installing Google Apps as well.
Step 11 - Once both the ROM and Google Apps are installed, hit "+++++Go Back+++++" and tap Reboot System Now in the recovery menu. Your phone will reboot now and the first boot may take about five minutes to complete. So, leave it alone.
Your Galaxy S2 I9100G is now running on the latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean based Chameleon ROM. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Best Android Stuffs]