We have noticed you are using an ad blocker
To continue providing news and award winning journalism, we rely on advertising revenue.
To continue reading, please turn off your ad blocker or whitelist us.
The SlimROMs developer team recently released the latest version of their popular lightweight custom firmware Android 4.2.2 SlimBean Build 2 ROM for a spate of Jelly Bean devices including Galaxy S3 I9300, Galaxy S2 I9100/I9100G, Galaxy S I9000, Galaxy Note N7000 and Galaxy Note 2 N7100. SlimBean Build 2 custom ROM brings a bloatware-free, fast and easy Android experience in a compact package. The new build also offers a multitude of bug-fixes and performance optimisations over the previous release.
The latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware comes with a plethora of intriguing features such as multi-user support, gesture typing, new quick settings option, lock-screen widget, new camera app, photo sphere, improved Google Now, new daydream feature and miracast display. As the custom firmware is still under development it may harbour a few untested bugs or broken features. However, all such issues are expected to be fixed in the upcoming updates.
Key Features of Android 4.2.2 SlimBean Build 2 ROM
- Full JDQ39 (4.2.2) base
- Performance - CPU, voltage, tweaks etc
- Themes - Theme engine
- Custom carrier label: Allows you to change your carrier label shown on the pulldown notification screen and lockscreen
- Power menu: Allows you to modify the options available in the advanced power menu
- Hide scrollbar: select whether to show the scrollbar on the dropdown when you've got multiple notifications
- Enable custom actions for Hardware Keys
- Background: choose lockscreen wallpaper
- Lock screen text color
- Battery status: show battery status on lockscreen only when charging or always on
- Screen security: select screen lock style, delay and additional unlock settings
- Vibrate: enable/disable vibrate on unlock
- Ascending rinSGHone: enable/disable and set up ascending rinSGHone
- Replaced cLock with Shiny new 'DashClock'
- Added slide before unlock
- Bring back long press to toggle PW
- MMS: Add Quick emoji to text input
- Phone: Set my phone number
- Added full hardware key rebinding (home+menu+back)
- Added Kill App/Expand Notification Shade/Toggle Expanded Desktop to hardware binds
- Fully configurable advanced reboot toggle
- Enhance circle battery and clock
- Camera: Add software HDR mode
- Calendar: Add snooze to events
- Enhance T9 and search
- Settings: Add forget all networks to WiFi
- Notification: Limit notification sounds for interval
- Camera: Add animation to mode switch
- Sound: Add configurable volume adjust sounds
- Notification: Add custom carrier text
- Enhance electron beam control
- Tons and tons of bug-fixes and optimisations
- On Non-English languages (and UK English) call durations in Call Log details are displayed incorrectly
- Landscape lock before unlock has a small visual glitch.
NOTE: The instructions given in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held responsible if the device is damaged during or after the ROM installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
Key Points to Note
- SlimBean Build 2 ROM and the instructions given in this guide are applicable to the Galaxy S2 I9100G model only and will not work on any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up important data and settings on the phone by using one of the recommended custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for the phone on computer (download Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G USB drivers).
- Make sure that USB Debugging mode is enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if the device is running on Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if the phone is running on Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise, if the device is running Android 4.2, then perform the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and select Build Number
- Tap the phone's Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings. Then select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Ensure that the phone has at least 80 percent battery charge.
- Allow the newly installed ROM to stabilise for about five to ten minutes before starting to work on it.
- Double check to see that the device is factory unlocked and rooted with ClockworkMod recovery (CWM) installed on it. Root Checker app may be downloaded and installed on the phone to verify if root access is working correctly, before proceeding with the custom ROM installation.
How to Install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy S2 I9100G with SlimBean Build 2 ROM
- Connect the phone to computer with USB cable and mount the device's USB mass storage.
- Without extracting, copy the downloaded ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on the phone's SD card.
- After the file transfer process is complete, disconnect the USB cable from computer and then Power off the phone.
- Boot the phone into recovery mode. To do so, press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power button together and wait until the screen flashes. Then release all three buttons to enter CWM recovery. NOTE: Use Volume buttons to navigate between options and Power button to select an option in recovery.
- Take a Nandroid Backup of the existing ROM, so that it can be restored later if the new ROM fails to work or if you want to return to the original ROM. To do a backup, choose Backup and Restore and hit Backup on next screen. Then return to main recovery menu once backup is done.
- Perform a complete data wipe task to remove conflicts between the original and new ROM. To do so, first do Wipe Data/Factory Reset and then choose Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait for a few minutes until the data wipe process completes.
- Return to CWM recovery main menu and click Wipe Cache Parition and once wipe process completes, choose Wipe Dalvik Cache under advance option. Once the wiping process completes, proceed to the next step.
- Choose Install Zip from SD card and click Choose Zip from SD card. Then browse and locate the SlimBean Build 2 ROM zip file that was copied earlier in Step 3 and select it by tapping Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and the installation process will begin.
- After the ROM installation is complete, repeat the previous step, but choose SlimBean Google Apps zip file instead of ROM zip to install the Google Apps package as well.
- Once GApps is also installed, return to the main recovery menu and tap Reboot System Now. The phone will now automatically reboot into the new ROM. However, the first boot may be time-consuming (take about 5 minutes). So, please be patient.
Restoring Previous ROM: To return to the original ROM, boot into recovery, choose Backup and Restore and then restore the previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean based Slim Bean Build 2 custom ROM is now installed and running on the Galaxy S2 I9100G. Go to Settings -> About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
- If the device is stuck or facing boot loop issues after flashing the ROM, then perform Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache about 4 to 5 more times before rebooting.
- If the phone displays Status 7 error, then it means either the device being flashed is incompatible or a necessary kernel is missing on the device (for instance, if a Jelly Bean ROM is being upgraded then it is necessary to install a Jelly Bean kernel first).
[Source: Droid Noobs]