Samsung's fourth generation Galaxy S series smartphone, announced last month, is expected to hit the stores in the UK from 27 April. Much before Samsung's flagship smartphone could go on sale, the developers have achieved root access on the device. Followed by this, custom recoveries such as ClockworkMod and TWRP have released for the device.
Now thanks to Omega team from XDA developer, the Galaxy S4 received its first custom firmware. Recognised developer, indie, has shared the Omega ROM for the Exynos 5 Octa-core variant of Samsung Galaxy S4 with model number I9500. The Omega v1.0 is based on Android 4.2.2 XXUAMDA Jelly Bean firmware and integrates several customised features.
Features of Omega v1.0
Based on test firmware XXUAMDA Android 4.2.2
Kernel stock XXUAMDA
CSC: I9500OXAAMDA multi set to DBT
Init.d support without the need of a kernel that supports init.d
Aroma installer- installation is fully customised by user and there is option to install everything or remove all Bloatware
User can flash apps and bloat apps any time without the need to flash again the whole ROM
Full wipe option
Wipe cache partition automatic before ROMs installation
Wipe Dalvik Cache automatic during installation
Wipe preload partition automatic before ROM installation
Omega addon applications
Es file explorer (with great Root explorer)
Hide it Pro
Flash player support
Disabled advertisements- can be enabled again from Addfree app (include in Omega)
Faster GPS lock
Removed (can be added from Omega files at any time)
Charger connection sound
Stock theme changes
Omega theme for aroma installer
ROM is Deodexed + Zipaligned
ROM is not rooted
Head over to the development page to learn more about the Omega Jelly Bean ROM.
Galaxy S4 users, who wish to install the Omega Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean, may follow our step-by-step guide.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any mishap. Users are advised to verify that their devices meet the following requirements.
1) Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy S4 to transfer files between the Android device to the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) The tutorial is likely to wipe all data of the phone, therefore, create backup for the same before proceeding. If the device is having custom recovery such as ClockworkMod/TWRP already installed then users are recommended to back up data using the same.
4) The Galaxy S4 should have above 80 per cent of battery charge.
5) The phone should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The Omega Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean works only on Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500. Applying this on any incorrect variant might brick the device. Therefore, verify the model number of the Galaxy S4 by navigating to Settings>> About phone.
Steps to install Omega ROM, featuring Android 4.2.2 XXUAMDA Jelly Bean, on Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500
2) Connect the Galaxy S4 to the computer using USB cable. Then copy the ROM zip file to the SD card of the device
3) Disconnect the phone from the computer and then switch it off
4) Now boot the Galaxy S4 into recovery mode. Press and hold Home + Volume Up buttons together and then press the Power button for about five seconds. The recovery mode will appear soon
5) In the recovery mode, perform a Nandroid backup of the current ROM. To do so select Backup and Restore and then select Backup again
6) Once backup is completed, perform data wiping task by selecting Wipe data/factory reset. Wait for some time until data gets wiped completely. Then click Advance and perform wipe of Dalvik cache
7) Using the Volume keys navigate to install zip from sdcard, then press the Power button to select it. Now using the Power button select choose zip from sdcard. Now browse to the Omega Jelly Bean ROM which is saved on the SD card of the device. Select it by pressing the Power button and confirm installation by selecting Yes on the next screen. Wait for some time until the ROM is installed
8) When the ROM is installed, return to main recovery menu and reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now. The device will take some time to boot up
When Samsung Galaxy S4 boots up successfully, it should be running on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Omega ROM. Head over to Settings>> About Phone to verify the software version running on the device.
[Source: Best Android Stuffs]