The Nexus 4 E960 has established itself as one of the most desirable handsets of 2012, owing to its stylish looks and powerful hardware configuration. A spate of custom ROMs and kernels have flocked the premium smartphone to get the best out of its power-crunching configuration.
With battery optimisation being the key to such a power-hungry device, Motley Kernel from XDA Developers member - motley - makes its way into the Android market with the aim of decreasing battery usage. The kernel brings performance tweaks for optimising battery usage, besides adding support for all stock features via Google 3.4 base.
As Android Authority notes, the kernel includes a host of intriguing features such as compiler optimisations, I/O schedulers, voltage control, governors (OnDemand, Interactive, PowerSave and Conservative), built-in CIFS, NFS, NTFS R/W, and TUN, XZ compression and various other tweaks.
Key Points to Note
- Motley Kernel and the instructions given in this guide are applicable to the Nexus 4 E960 model only and will not work on any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- IBTimes UK advises users to back up apps, important data and settings to avoid data loss while flashing the Motley Kernel on your phone.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of installing the Motley Kernel on the Nexus 4. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- Verify that your Nexus 4 bootloader is unlocked with ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) installed on it
- Ensure that your phone has at least 70 percent battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while flashing the Motley Kernel on the Nexus 4 E960.
- Download Motley Kernel
- Download Stock kernel package (optional)
How to Install Motley Kernel on Nexus 4 E960
1. Copy the Motley Kernel zip file to the root folder on your phone's SD card.
2. Power offyour LG Nexus 4 E960 and boot into Recovery Mode.To do so, press and hold Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons until the device boots into Fastboot Mode. Use the Volume keys to select Recovery and tap Power button to boot into ClockworkMod Recovery.
3. Take a NANDroid backup of your current ROM. Choose Backup and Restore and click Backup.
4. Choose Install ZIP from SD Card and click Choose ZIP from SD Card. Now, select the ROM zip file and tap Yes to confirm.
5. Hit Go back and tap Reboot System Now.
You have successfully flashed the Motley Kernel on your LG Nexus 4 E960. In case you face issues after flashing the kernel, you can flash the stock kernel package or re-flash your current ROM without wiping.
[Source: Android Authority]