Nexus 4 E960 users recently received the most-awaited Android 4.4 KRT16O KitKat firmware via Over-The-Air (OTA) update from Google. Those who missed the OTA update or cannot wait for the official firmware can still install the same via custom ROMs, such as AOSP and CyanogenMod 11 ROMs.
Nexus 4 users who have already updated their device to the new Android 4.4 firmware can root the same using SuperSU tool with TWRP recovery. IBTimes UK will not be held liable for any device damage during or after root installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The SuperSU rooting tool and instructions provided in this guide are meant for LG Nexus 4E960 only. Do not attempt installing the firmware on any other model, as you might end up bricking the device.
- Ensure the device is factory unlocked (carrier SIM unlocked) with TWRP recovery installed on it.
- Verify that the phone's bootloader is also unlocked.
- Back up important data and settings on the tablet via one of the custom recovery tools such as CWM or TWRP to prevent data loss during firmware installation.
- Ensure the device has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during firmware installation.
- Enable USB Debugging mode by navigating to Settings > Developer Options.
How to Root Nexus 4 on Android 4.4 KRT16O KitKat with TWRP Recovery
Step 1 - Download Android SDK from the Android Developers website and install with USB drivers.
Step 2 - Download Fastboot and extract it to android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory. Create a new directory if it does not exist.
NOTE: Skip Steps 1 and 2 if they are already installed.
Step 3 - Download SuperSU v1.69.zip and copy it to platform-tools folder.
Step 4 - Then Power off the phone.
Step 5 - Download TWRP 220.127.116.11 and copy it to the android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory on your computer.
Step 6 - Connect the phone to computer via USB cable.
Step 7 - Reboot Nexus 4 in Fastboot Mode. To do so, browse to platform-tools folder under SDK and launch Command Prompt (hold Shift with Right-click and then choose Open Command Prompt). Now type: 'adb reboot bootloader' and press enter.
Step 8 - Then enter the following command to flash TWRP recovery via Command Prompt: fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-18.104.22.168-mako.img
Step 9 - Wait until TWRP recovery is completely flashed and then enter the following command to reboot the phone in recovery mode:
adb reboot recovery
Step 10 - Go to Advanced option in TWRP recovery and ensure the device is still connected to the computer.
Step 11 - Choose ADB Sideload option and then enter the command line:adb sideload UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.69.zip
Step 12 - Wait until the installation process completes and then reboot the phone in Normal mode.
Step 13 - Disconnect the phone from computer. Launch Google Play Store on the phone and update SuperSU.
Your Nexus 4 E960 is now successfully rooted on Android 4.4 KRT16O KitKat with TWRP recovery installed. Check for the SuperSU app in your apps list to verify root access is working.
[Source: Team Android]