Republican front runner Donald Trump dominated headlines following the first Republican candidate debate in Cleveland, Ohio, last night.
Facing tough questions from moderators, the candidates clashed in a frank exchange of views on issues ranging from immigration to foreign policy. Yet the debate was memorable for billionaire TV star Trump's controversial and outspoken comments on a range of issues.
Below, IBTimes UK looks at Trump's top ten quotes from the debate.
1. Trump was asked by Fox News moderator Megyn Kelly if he stood by comments in which he described women as "fat pigs, dogs, slobs and disgusting animals". Trump replied "Only Rosie O'Donnell".
2. Kelly pointed out that he had used misogynistic language to describe women other than comedian and actress O'Donnell. Trump said that "political correctness" was one of the top problems facing the country. "Honestly, Megyn, if you don't like it, I'm sorry. I've been very nice to you, although I could probably not be based on the way you have treated me. But I wouldn't do that."
3. Trump said that he would not run as an independent against the Republican nominee … as long as he was the Republican nominee. "I can't say that I have to respect that person who wins … If I'm the nominee, I pledge I will not run as an independent," declared Trump, drawing boos from the audience.
4. When asked why he had donated money to the Clintons, he said he was trying to buy influence over the Democrat candidate. "With Hillary Clinton I said come to my wedding, and she was at my wedding," he said.
5. Assessing President Barack Obama's foreign policy, Trump said: "I would say he's incompetent, but I don't want to do that, because that's not nice."
6. Trump opined on the recent nuclear deal with Iran, claiming the Islamic Republic would hugely benefit. "If Iran was a stock you should go out and buy it, cause you'll quadruple," he said.
7. In the debate, Trump responded to accusations from Republican rival Jeb Bush that his tone was "divisive". "When you have people that are cutting Christians' heads off, when you have a world, at the border and in so many places … that it's medieval times … We don't have time for tone. We have to go out and get the job done," he said.
8. When challenged on his claim that Mexico was sending "rapists" and "drug dealers" to the US as immigrants, Trump responded: "Our leaders are stupid. Our politicians are stupid. And the Mexican government is much smarter, much sharper, much more cunning, and they send the bad ones over because they don't wanna pay for them, they don't wanna take care of them, why should they when the stupid leaders of the US are doing it for them?"
9. Warming to the subject of immigration, Trump offered a solution. "We need to build a wall and it has to be built quickly. And I don't mind having a big, beautiful door in that wall so that people can come into this country legally," he said.
10. In his closing statement, Trump outlined the problems the US faced. "We don't win anymore. We don't beat China in trade. We don't beat Japan with their millions and millions of cars coming into this country in trade. We can't beat Mexico at the border or in trade. We can't do anything right. Our military has to be strengthened. Our vets have to be taken care of — and we have to end Obamacare. And we have to make our country great again, and I will do that. Thank you," declared the business magnate to rapturous applause.