UK riots
All those convicted of taking part in the riots from of looting or public order offences will be banned from shops in Manchester city centre for two years.

All those convicted of taking part in last week's riots from of looting or public order offences will be banned from shops in Manchester city centre for two years, the M.E.N reports.

City centre bosses and police have teamed up to ensure the unprecedented scenes of disorder on Tuesday night don't happen again.

The ban includes more than 400 stores in Manchester Arndale as well as the Triangle shopping centre, Marks and Spencer, Debenhams, Selfridges, Harvey Nichols and Kendals.

Retailers bore the brunt of the riots, with many stores left with huge repair bills after being ransacked by the rioters.

They will use a "civil exclusion scheme" originally designed to keep persistent shoplifters out of the city.

The partnership will add pictures of all those convicted for their part in the riots to an offender database.

The images will then be sent out to every store signed up to the city's scheme - with security guards instructed to turf them out if they try to get inside.

Rob Dyson, head of CityCo's business crime reduction partnership, said: "We want to send out a strong message that Manchester's business community is standing together and those that disrespect our city are not welcome and will not be allowed to enjoy it" quoted M.E.N.

By last night, more than 230 people had been arrested in connection with the disturbances in Manchester city centre and Salford. Of those, over 130 have been charged as Greater Manchester Police continued to carry out warrants over the weekend.

All offenders will be informed of their bans by letter, and told that their names and images have been passed to store bosses across the city. The ban will run for two years.

Pat Karney, Manchester council's city-centre spokesman, said: "The scenes we witnessed on Tuesday night were shocking and we cannot tolerate this kind of behaviour in Manchester", reports M.E.N.

"The civil exclusion scheme is already doing a fantastic job and it makes sense to add these disgraceful individuals, who show complete disregard for others people's property, to the list."