Up to 14 people have been killed in the Yemeni capital of Sanaa after a Saudi-led coalition bombed a food factory following the failure of United Nations' peace talks on the weekend. Five women were among the dead in the strike on a potato chip factory in the Nahda district of the capital as a fragile truce was broken, the Associated Press reported.
It was the first attack in five months by the coalition backing Yemeni forces loyal to the exiled government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi as they fight Shi'ite rebels, known as Houthis, who captured Sanaa in 2014.
Residents said that the airstrikes hit a presidential compound and military base in Sanaa as well as a Republican Guard base in the Arhab area near the city's international airport from where flights were suspended for 72 hours on Monday, 8 August.
Yemen's SABA news agency, which is under Houthi control, said air strikes hit the capital, their northern stronghold of Saada and cities of Taiz, Jouf, Makha and Houdeida.
With the resumption in hostilities and United Nations' talks in Kuwait breaking down after the Security Council failed to agree on a statement that supports the UN special envoy to Yemen, a humanitarian crisis continues to worsen.
Half of the 6,000 people killed are children. Mark Goldring, chief executive of Oxfam UK, told Channel 4 News on Tuesday 2 August that the Saudi-led coalition were guilty of recklessness in the number of non-military targets that had been struck.
He said that schools and settlements far from military targets had been hit and thousands of civilians had been victims of "random, indiscriminate or targeted bombing".