XDA developer aaronpoweruser has released the latest version of the Paranoid Android ROM - v2.99 Beta 8 - featuring Android 4.2.1 (Jelly Bean) for the 3G Nexus 7. The hybrid ROM carries several features, including a theme engine which the official update lacks. For more details on features, visit the source page.
3G Nexus 7 users looking to update to Paranoid Android v2.99 may follow this tutorial. IBTimes UK reminds its readers it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Users are advised this procedure is only for the 3G Nexus 7.
- Ensure download of appropriate USB drivers and enable USB debugging mode
- Ensure bootloader is unlocked
- Ensure Nexus 7 is rooted and ClockWorkMod (CWM) Recovery is installed
- Ensure back-up of all data
- Ensure battery has at least 80 percent charge
To Install Paranoid Android v2.99 (Jelly Bean) Custom ROM on 3G Nexus 7
- Download Paranoid Android v2.99 (Jelly Bean) ROM
- Download Google apps package
- Connect device to computer using USB cable and copy downloaded files to SD card
- Note: Do not extract files
- Disconnect device from computer, switch it off and re-start in CWM Recovery (to do so, press Volume Up, Volume Down and Power until screen turns on [alternate method])
- In Recovery, perform Nandroid backup of existing ROM (to do so, select Backup and Restore > Backup and return to main Recovery menu after action is completed)
- Select Wipe data/Factory Reset > Yes and return to main Recovery menu after action is completed
- Select Install Zip from SD Card using Power and then select Choose Zip from SD Card and locate Paranoid Android (Jelly Bean) ROM on SD card. Select with Power and confirm installation
- After installation, follow similar procedure to select and install Google apps package
- After installation, return to main Recovery menu and select Reboot System Now (first reboot may take some time)
- Note: To return to previous ROM, boot into Recovery, select Backup and Restore > Restore and select ROM from list
The Paranoid Android v2.99 ROM, featuring Android 4.2.1 (Jelly Bean) custom firmware, has now been installed on the 3G Nexus 7. Browse to Settings > About Tablet to verify software on device.
[Source: Android Jinn]