Nexus 7 (2012) Wi-Fi users can now enjoy the latest security fixes including OpenSSL bug-fix and various feature enhancements for KitKat, with due release of Android 4.4.4 build KTU84P KitKat stock firmware via Over-The-Air (OTA) update.
Those who missed the official OTA update notification for the latest KitKat build and want to upgrade the firmware from Android 4.4.3 KTU84L to Android 4.4.4 KTU84P can follow the step-by-step guide below to install the same manually via ADB sideload method or CWM/TWRP recovery based on your convenience.
IBTimes UK reminds readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to device during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
Key Points to Remember
- The instructions and download links provided in this tutorial are meant for the international (Wi-Fi) variant of Nexus 7 2012 edition. Do not attempt installing this firmware on incorrect variants as it may inadvertently brick or damage the device permanently. Verify the model number of the device by navigating to Settings >> About Tablet.
- Ensure your Nexus 7 is running on Android 4.4.3 KitKat KTU84L firmware build, before you proceed. This guide is not meant for devices running older Android 4.4.x firmware builds and the installation might fail on such devices.
- The procedure given in this guide works for both locked and unlocked bootloaders as well as rooted and non-rooted Nexus 7 (2012) Wi-Fi devices.
- The article is split into two sections: one for installing firmware via stock recovery and the other via custom recovery such as CWM or TWRP.
- If the device is stuck at booting or is experiencing boot loop issues, perform Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting.
- Allow newly installed ROM to stabilise for five minutes before you start working on it.
1. Install USB Drivers for Asus Nexus 7 2012 (Wi-Fi) on the computer.
2. Enable USB Debugging Mode on the tablet by navigating to Settings >> Developer Options.
3. Back up all your important data before proceeding with firmware installation.
4. Ensure the tablet is factory unlocked and not rooted. NOTE: For rooted procedure, just ensure the device is factory unlocked as well as its bootloader unlocked. Also verify that the device is pre-rooted with custom recovery (CWM or TWRP) installed.
5. Verify the tablet has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown during firmware installation.
6. Install and setup Android SDK ADT package on your computer.
Steps to Flash Android 4.4.4 KTU84P on Nexus 7 (2012) Wi-Fi via ADB Sideload Using Stock Recovery [Non-Rooted]
- Download the firmware update zip file from here and save it to your computer desktop. Change the filename to update.zip for easeier recognition and installation of the firmware.
- Once the download is complete, just move the update.zip file to 'platform tools' folder in SDK directory.
- Power off the tablet and boot it into Recovery Mode.
- In recovery mode, choose 'apply update from adb' from the menu options.
- Connect your Nexus 7 (2012) to computer via USB cable.
- Navigate to the folder containing the new 'update.zip' file and launch the command prompt from this folder.
- To launch command prompt, press and hold Shift key and right-click in empty space within the folder and choose 'open command window here' option from context menu.
- Type the following command in the command prompt screen: adb sideload update.zip and then press Enter.
- The firmware installation process will now begin and you just need to wait until the process completes.
- Once the Android 4.4.4 KTU84P stock firmware is installed, just reboot the device into normal mode via Recovery mode options menu.
Note:The first boot of your device after installing the new firmware might take some time as it needs to complete optimising the process for all apps before loading the necessary system files.
Steps to Install Android 4.4.4 KTU84P KitKat on Nexus 7 (2012) Wi-Fi using CWM/TWRP Recovery [Rooted]
- Download Android 4.4.4 KTU84P stock firmware in zip format from here.
- Connect your Nexus 7 to computer via USB cable.
- Copy the update.zip file to your tablet's internal storage.
- Disconnect the tablet from computer after the files are copied to designated location.
- Turn off the device and boot it in Recovery Mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Volume Down and Power buttons until the device enters Fastboot or Bootloader mode.
- Use Volume Up or Volume Down keys to choose Recovery Mode option and then hit Power button to confirm entry into Recovery Mode.
- Wait until the green Android icon appears on screen and then press and hold Power, while tapping Volume up to progress into Stock Recovery menu.
- Select 'install zip from sdcard' option for CWM Recovery or tap on 'Install' for TWRP Recovery.
- Find the update.zip file and confirm the action to complete the updating process.
- Do not interrupt the computer or press any keys until the update is complete.
- Reboot your Nexus 7 after all files are flashed successfully.
[Source: Android Geeks]
- Root Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2012) and Nexus 10 on Android 4.4.4 KTU84P KitKat and Install CWM Recovery
- Update Nexus 4 to New Android 4.4.4 KTU84P KitKat via Factory Image
- Update Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250 to Android 4.4.2 KitKat via Resurrection Remix ROM
- I9500XXUFNE7 Android 4.4.2 Stock Firmware Arrives for Galaxy S4 (GT-I9500)