Samsung is on track for a wide roll-out of Android Lollipop in Europe. The software update is seeding for Galaxy S5 (SM-G900F) users in the UK.
Based on Android 5.0 Lollipop (LRX21T), the update increases the build number of Galaxy S5 to G900FXXU1BOA3. As the Android Lollipop is a major upgrade, users are advised to update their Galaxy S5 to the latest Android firmware.
You can update your Galaxy S5 using two official methods: Samsung's Firmware-Over-The-Air service and Kies server, for which you will have to connect your phone to the computer and use Samsung Kies 3.
For the FOTA update navigate to Settings >> About device>> software update>> update. You can also manually install the G900FXXU1BOA3 Android 5.0 build on your Galaxy S5 using our installation guide.
With the Android Lollipop version 5.0, Galaxy S5 owners can enjoy a slew of new features and enhancements and redesigned native apps such as dialler, messaging, calculator, clock, S Health which are inspired with Google's new Material Design.
Other additional features are lockscreen, heads-up notifications, MirrorLink support, Tap & go, new ART and many more. Users will also get the improved fingerprint sensor which is designed using a new driver and Note 4's fingerprint lockscreen.
- Model name: Samsung Galaxy S5
- Model number: SM-G900F
- Country: United Kingdom
- Version: Android 5.0 Lollipop LRX21T
- Changelist: 3624618
- Build date: 7 January
- Product code: BTU
- PDA: G900FXXU1BOA3
- CSC: G900FOXA1BOA4
- MODEM: G900FXXU1BOA3
Check out the following manual installation guide to flash Android 5.0 update on Galaxy S5.
- Ensure that you have proper USB driver for your Galaxy S5.
- Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> Developer Options>> check the USB Debugging option.]
- Create back up of all data of the phone through any custom recovery like CWM or, TWRP.
- The battery level of your Galaxy smartphone should be above 80%.
- The device should be factory unlocked.
- The phone will lose custom ROM once the stock firmware is installed. Also, the custom recovery will be replaced by the stock version.
- The device will no longer belong to a rooted version with the installation of official firmware.
- G900FXXU1BOA3 Android 5.0 Lollipop works only with Galaxy S5 SM-G900F. As flashing this on any incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number and then install firmware based on the model number.
- IBTimes UK will not be held liable for any damage to the device.
How to install official Android 5.0 Lollipop build G900FXXU1BOA3 update on Galaxy S5 G900F
Step-1: Extract the Lolipop firmware zip using any extracting tool to get a .tar.md5 file with few other files, which are optional
Step-2: Extract the Odin zip to get Odin3 v.3.09.exe with few other files
Step-3: Switchoff the Galaxy S5
Step-4: Put the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding Home, Power and Volume Down buttons together for a few seconds
Note: Ensure that you have installed proper USB drivers installed on your PC.
Step-5: Launch Odin on the computer. Right-click on the application and select Run as Administrator from the drop down menu
Step-6: Connect Galaxy S5 to the PC using USB cable while it is in Download mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected successfully, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn light blue with COM port number. This step might take some time
Step-7: In Odin, click AP button and select the firmware file with .tar.md5 extension, which you extracted in step-1
Step-8: Enable Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes in Odin. But keep Re-Partition option unchecked
Step-9: Verify everything and finally click on the Start button in Odin. This should start the installation process. Wait for a few minutes until the process is completed
Step-10: Upon the completion of the installation, the phone will restart automatically. When you see the phone's home screen on the phone, safely unplug the phone from the PC
Your Galaxy S5 should now be updated with new Android Lollipop firmnware. Head over to Settings >> About phone to check the new Android version.
If you are looking for a root method, click here for our guide to root Galaxy S5 SM-G900F on Android 5.0.