Samsung Galaxy S5 Sport users who have subscribed to Sprint's wireless network services in the US, can now check out for the Android 5.0 (Lollipop) OS update for their smartphones, as the firmware upgrade is now officially live.
According to an official Sprint listing, users of the carrier's Galaxy S5 Sport can check out for Android 5.0 over-the-air (OTA) notifications, bearing version number G860PVPU1BOC5.
Sprint mentions the latest rollout will be a phased one, which means that the software will take some time before it rolls out to all Sprint-driven Galaxy S5 Sport devices across the US.
Android 5.0 for Samsung Galaxy S5 Sport, brings along the following newer functionality and enhancements:
- Reactivation Lock feature now brought along to Galaxy S5 Sport users (on Sprint) by latest update.
General set of enhancements:
- Material Design: Material design offers fluid animations, vivid coloured themes and 3D-Views.
- Improved Lockscreen: Shortcuts for both Phone and Camera are provided, along with Material Design-inspired notifications.
- Touchwiz: Brighter look and feel, bold colours, fluid animation inspired by Material Design.
- Floating Action Button: Floating action buttons provide easy access to the app's most important features, such as adding a new contact or favourite, or composing a text message.
- Interruptions: Priority notifications such as events and reminders, phone calls, and messages can be set up to sound or vibrate while all other notifications are muted.
- Recents: Easy access to your Chrome tabs right from the Recent apps page. Multi-window icons for ease of use during multi-tasking.
How to manually download and install Android 5.0 OS update?
Google's Android Lollipop is generally available via the over-the-air (OTA) mechanism, but can also be manually searched for and downloaded as explained below:
- From the home screen, select and drag down the Notification bar
- Tap Settings
- Scroll to and tap System update
- Select Update now
- If newer system updates are available at that point in time, follow the on-screen instructions for installation, else tap OK
- Your Samsung Galaxy S5 Sport's software is now up to date, with the installation of Android 5.0 OS update.
As the above rollout is expected to be a phased one, Sprint Galaxy S5 Sport users in the US can let us know about the rollout status for their devices.