After being put on an active rollout path and reaching users of Samsung's metal-clad Galaxy A5 in Poland, the Android 5.0 (Lollipop) OS update has now spread to Russia.
A YouMobile report confirms the latest rollout, and also stated that Galaxy A5 users resident in other countries will also be seeded Android Lollipop as early as by the end of July 2015.
So it should not be too long before Samsung Galaxy A5 handsets in countries such as the UK, US and India are Lollipoped.
As of now, users of the metal-clad Galaxy A5 smartphones (bearing model number SM-A500F) can check their handsets for new over-the-air (OTA) notifications representing Android Lollipop firmware upgrade.
For Galaxy A5 users preferring to obtain Android Lollipop via OTA, the OS update will be available in the form of a bulky 920MB-sized file bearing firmware version number A500FXXU1BOF5.
The latest OS update can also be manually downloaded and installed, and Samsung Galaxy A5 users can also interface their smartphones to a PC, via Samsung Kies, to obtain Lollipop.
Apart from Galaxy A5, Android Lollipop is currently live for users of Samsung Galaxy A3 in Russia.
Enhancements brought along by Android Lollipop OS update:
- Material Design: A bold, colourful, and responsive UI design for consistent, intuitive experiences across devices
- Notifications: View and respond to messages directly from your lock screen. Includes the ability to hide sensitive content for these notifications
- Battery Saver feature: The new feature extends the device's battery life by up to 90 minutes
- Enhanced security: Use Android Smart Lock to secure your phone or tablet by pairing it with a trusted device such as your wearable or car
- Device Sharing: Multiple users for phones
- New Quick Settings: Enables users to get to the most frequently used settings with just two swipes down from the top of the screen
- Connectivity: Improved network hand-off resulting in limited interruption in connectivity
- Android TV: Support for TV devices
- OK Google: Talk to Google on the go to get quick answers, send a text, and get directions and more.
Android Lollipop OS update can also be manually searched for and installed by navigating to Settings > About Phone > System updates > Check for Updates.