We have noticed you are using an ad blocker
To continue providing news and award winning journalism, we rely on advertising revenue.
To continue reading, please turn off your ad blocker or whitelist us.
Galaxy Tab 7 users can now rejoice over the release of the unofficial build of Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean update via CyanogenMod 10.1 (CM10.1) ROM, with due credit to Android developers. Samsung had earlier announced the end of the software release cycle for the 7in Galaxy tablet, and invariably dashed all hopes of official future upgrades for the ageing device.
The tablet had last received an official update through the Android 2.3 Gingerbread firmware, despite flaunting the necessary hardware to support all the latest Android platforms - Android 4.0.4 ICS, Android 4.1 Jelly Bean and Android 4.2 Jelly Bean. The device clearly passes the system requirements with a powerful 1GHz Cortex-A8 processor and capable 512MB of RAM onboard.
With the advent of Android 4.2.1 CM10.1 custom ROM release, Galaxy Tab 7 users are in for a special treat with a multitude of exciting features onboard including multi-user support, gesture typing, new quick settings option, lock-screen widget, new camera app, photo sphere, improved Google Now, new day dream feature and miracast display.
Except for Bluetooth, all other features are reportedly working fine with the CM10.1 ROM for Galaxy Tab 7.
Key Points to Note
- The CM10.1 ROM and the instructions provided in this guide are only compatible with the Galaxy Tab 7 P1000 and P1010 models. It will not work on any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Tablet.
- The CM10.1 ROM is still a preview build and may harbour untested bugs or broken features, as the ROM is still under development. However, the issues will be fixed in the upcoming updates as part of the development process.
- IBTimes UK advises users to back up apps, important data and settings to avoid risk of data loss while flashing the Android 4.2.1 CM10.1 custom ROM on the Galaxy Tab 7.
- Verify that your phone's battery has at least 80 percent charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean update on it.
- Ensure that the correct USB drivers are installed for your Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 on the computer. Download USB drivers from here.
- Make sure that USB debugging mode is enabled by navigating to Settings > Applications > Development.
- Verify that your device is rooted with ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) installed on it.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using the Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean firmware update. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
Download Google Apps
How to Install Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean on Galaxy Tab 7 via CyanogenMod 10.1 ROM
1. Connect your Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 P1000/P1010 to the computer with the original USB cable.
2. Copy the downloaded zip file to the root folder on your tablet or to its desktop. Important: Do not extract any file.
3. Disconnect the USB cable from the computer and then power off your tablet.
4. Boot into recovery mode by pressing and holding Power and Volume Down buttons together until Samsung Galaxy Tab logo pops up on screen. When you see the logo, release Power button but continue holding Volume Down button for few more seconds until you get CWM recovery screen. Use Volume buttons to navigate and Power button to select an option in recovery.
5. Take a Nandroid backup of your existing ROM so that you can restore it later if something goes wrong with the new ROM. To do a backup, choose Backup and Restore and hit Backup again on next screen. Return to main recovery menu once backup is complete.
6. Perform a full data wipe. To do so, click wipe data/factory reset, then choose Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait for a few minutes until the data wipe process completes.
7. Choose install zip from sdcard and then click choose zip from sdcard. Now, locate the CM10.1 Rom Zip file that you copied earlier in Step 2 and select it by tapping Power button. Confirm installation by choosing Yes on next screen. The ROM installation will begin.
8. Once the ROM is installed, repeat step 7 but choose GApps Zip file instead of ROM zip to install Google apps.
9. After Google Apps is installed, return to the main recovery menu and click Reboot System Now to reboot the tablet into customized CM10.1 ROM. The first boot may take about 5 minutes, so leave it alone.
10. Returning to Previous ROM: To restore your previous ROM, boot into recovery, click backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean based CM10.1 ROM is now successfully installed and running on your Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 P1000/P1010.
[Source: Android Jinn]