With due credit to XDA senior member erezak, the unofficial CyanogenMod 10 (CM10) based nightly ROM is now available for the GSM Galaxy Tab P1000 Photo: Samsung
Samsung made its debut in the tablet market with the launch of its 7.7in Galaxy Tab P1000, which has drawn tremendous attention in recent times, thanks to a flurry of unofficial Android updates for the tablet by the developer community.
With due credit to XDA senior member erezak, the unofficial CyanogenMod 10 (CM10) based nightly ROM is now available for the GSM Galaxy Tab. With rapid Jelly Bean updates introduced in nightly builds of custom ROMs, expect new features with routine changes in source code during software development. The CM10 ROM brings the latest version of Android 4.1.1 with highly customised options alongside slick performance to deliver the ultimate Android experience to the user.
As this is not the official Jelly Bean ROM from Samsung, it may harbour a few broken features or untested bugs under development. Besides, certain Samsung specific features such as 3G video calling and FM radio may be unavailable with this update. However, video calling using third-party apps like Skype should reportedly work. Certain native apps like camera may function differently from that of stock ROMs.
- The ROM and the instructions provided in this guide are applicable for the original Galaxy Tab - P1000 model only and will not work with any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About tablet.
- Make sure that ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery is installed on the tablet, before you attempt installing this firmware update.
- IBTimes UK advises users to backup apps, important personal data and settings (bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs and other settings) to avoid data loss while installing the Jelly Bean update.
- The instructions given in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using this Jelly Bean update. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install CM10 Based Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy Tab P1000
1. Download the latest version of CM10 ROM from the XDA Developers official thread (Download here).
2. Download the Google Apps package from here.
3. Without extracting, copy the two downloaded zip files in step 1 and 2 to the internal SD card on the tablet.
4. Now, power off the tablet and boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. To do this, press and hold the Volume Up and Power buttons together until the screen powers on, then release them.
Use volume buttons to browse and the power button to select menu options in recovery.
5. Choose wipe data/factory reset, then click Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait until the data wipe process completes.
6. Tap install zip from sdcard and hit choose zip from sdcard. Browse and locate the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by choosing Yes on the next screen. The ROM should begin installing.
7. Once ROM is installed, tap choose zip from sdcard again, then choose the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google apps (GApps) package.
8. After the GApps is installed, choose Go back then tap reboot system now to reboot the tablet into CM10. The first boot is usually time consuming and may up to 5 minutes, so leave it alone.
Updating to Newer Nightly ROM Updates
- As this ROM is a nightly build, it gets regular feature and performance updates. So, in order to update to a newer version, just download it from XDA's development page, copy the files to your SD card, boot into recovery, install the ROM without wiping data and then reboot the phone. Please note that you don't need to re-install the Google apps package or wipe data when updating. Just install the latest version of the ROM and you are all set.
CM10 based Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update is now successfully installed on your Samsung Galaxy Tab P1000.
[Source: The Android Soul]
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader