The Galaxy S can be updated to Android 4.2.1 with SlimBean beta 1 ROM.
Samsung's official list of Galaxy devices scheduled for Android Jelly Bean software upgrades did not include the South Koreans' first generation S series smartphone - the Galaxy S. In fact, this model did not even receive an Android Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) update.
However, external developers succeeded in installing a Jelly Bean ROM on the Galaxy S and the SlimBean team has now released a custom ROM for Android 4.2.1, for the Galaxy S (I9000). The upgraded software is the same Google released for the Nexus devices; for more details check out the source page.
Meanwhile, Galaxy S users looking to update to the SlimBean Android 4.2.1 Beta 1 custom ROM can follow this tutorial. IBTimes UK reminds its readers it will not be responsible for damage to the device during installation. We also warn users this guide is meant for the Galaxy S (I9000) only.
- Ensure appropriate USB drivers are downloaded and USB debugging mode is enabled
- Ensure smartphone is rooted and ClockWorkMod (CWM) Recovery is installed
- Ensure all data is backed-up before proceeding
- Ensure device is factory unlocked
- Ensure battery has at least 80 percent charge
Steps to Install SlimBean Android 4.2.1 Beta 1 on Galaxy S (I9000)
- Download SlimBean Android 4.2.1 (Jelly Bean) custom ROM
- Download Google apps package
- Connect device to computer using USB cable, copy downloaded files to SD card and then disconnect and turn off device
- Re-start in Recovery (to do so, press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power till Samsung logo appears and then release Power while holding Volume Up and Home. The CWM Recovery screen should now appear)
- In CWM Recovery, perform a Nandroid backup of existing ROM (to do so, select Backup and Restore > Backup and return to main Recovery menu after backup is completed)
- In CWM Recovery, perform a data wipe by selecting Wipe Data/Factory Reset > Yes and return to main Recovery menu after action is completed
- Use Volume keys to scroll Install Zip from SD Card and press Power to select option. Repeat to select Choose Zip from SD Card, locate Jelly Bean ROM and confirm installation
- After installation, repeat selection and confirmation process to install Google apps package
- After installation, return to main Recovery menu and select Reboot System Now (first reboot may take some time)
- Note: To return to previous ROM, boot into Recovery, select Backup and Restore > Restore and select ROM from list
The SlimBean beta 1 custom ROM, based on Android 4.2.1, has now been installed on the Samsung Galaxy S (I9000). Navigate to Settings > About Phone to verify software version on device.
[Source: Android Jinn]
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader