Galaxy S2 I9100G Receives Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean with Avatar ROM
Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G users receive the latest Jelly Bean update with the release of Android 4.1.2 based Avatar ROM. The custom ROM brings a high-level of customisation capability by blending the best custom features of CyanogenMod 10 (CM10) with the MIUI theme engine.
The MIUI theme offers a host of visually-appealing custom themes taken straight out of MIUI custom ROM. Despite the exciting custom Jelly Bean features on offer, the Avatar ROM may harbour a few untested bugs or broken features, as the ROM is still under development. However, all such issues are expected to be fixed in the upcoming updates.
Key Points to Note
- Android 4.1.2 based Avatar ROM and the instructions given in this guide are applicable for the international variant - Galaxy S2 I9100G model only. Do not attempt to install this update on any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Ensure data backup and 80 percent battery charge
- Ensure that correct USB drivers are installed on PC. Download Galaxy S2 I9100G USB drivers.
- Enable USB Debugging mode on the device by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device is running Android 4.0 or later). Else go to Settings > Applications > Development (if phone is running Android 2.3 or earlier).
- Verify that the device is rooted with ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery installed.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using the Android 4.1.2 based Avatar custom ROM. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
Download Android 4.1.2 Avatar ROM for Galaxy S2 I9100G
Download Google Apps (GApps)
How to Install Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Based Avatar ROM on Galaxy S2 I9100G
1. Connect the device phone to PC with original USB cable.
2. Copy downloaded ROM and Google Apps Zip files to the root folder of the phone's SD card without extracting any files.
3. Disconnect the phone's USB cable from computer and switch it off.
4. Boot the phone into CWM Recovery by pressing and holding Volume Up, Power and Home buttons together until the Samsung logo appears on screen. Now, release all three buttons for half a second and hold them again. Now the phone will automatically enter CWM recovery. Use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select an option in Recovery.
5. Take a Nandroid backup of the current ROM so that it can be restored if something goes wrong with the new ROM. To do a backup, choose Backup and Restore and hit Backup again on next screen. Return to main recovery menu once backup is done.
6. Now, perform a full data wipe task. To do so, click Wipe data/factory reset, then choose Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait for a few minutes until the data wipe process completes. Then return to the main menu of CWM Recovery. Hit wipe cache partition and after wiping process completes, perform Wipe Dalvik Cache under advance option.
7. Choose Install zip from SD card and then hit Choose zip from SD card. Now, locate the Avatar ROM zip file copied earlier in Step 2 and select it by tapping Power button. Confirm the ROM installation by clicking Yes on next screen and the installation will begin.
8. After the ROM is installed, repeat step 7 but choose GApps file instead of ROM zip to install Google apps package.
9. When Google Apps is installed, return to the main recovery menu and hit Reboot System Now to reboot the phone into Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean based Avatar ROM. The first boot may take about 5 minutes to complete.
10. Restoring to Previous ROM: To return to previous ROM, boot into recovery, hit Backup and Restore then restore previous ROM by choosing it from the list.
Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean based Avatar custom ROM is now installed and running on the device.
[Source: Android Jinn]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader