Another official software update, Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean with build version XXUAMDL, has been released for the Exynos 5 octa-core variant of the Samsung Galaxy S4 with model number I9500. The new official build has been rolled out for several countries. Users can grab the update through Samsung KIES servers. Also, users from supported regions can install the update manually using Odin flashing tool.
Android 4.2.2 XXUAMDL Jelly Bean firmware is released for Galaxy S4 I9500.
Galaxy S4 users who have already installed the Android 4.2.2 XXUAMDL Jelly Bean update and wish to root their devices on it, may follow our step-by-step guide.
Both the root method as well as the root file have been released by XDA developer, cofface. The developer claims that the method is the easiest way to root the GT-I9500 Galaxy S4 model. The recovery file used for rooting is based on CWM 184.108.40.206.
Recovery file features
Based on CWM 220.127.116.11
Root your phone
Head over to the development page to learn more about the root method.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any mishap. Additionally, users are advised to verify that their devices meet following requirements.
1) Install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy S4 to transfer files between the Android device and the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) As the tutorial might wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as ClockworkMod/TWRP already installed, then backup data using the recovery.
4) The Galaxy S4 should have above 80% battery charge.
5) The phone should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) Rooting the phone will void manufacturer's warranty. However, users can reclaim the warranty back by unrooting the handset later.
7) The root file works only on Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500. Installing this on any incorrect variant might brick the device. Therefore, verify the model number of Galaxy S4 by navigating to Settings>> About phone.
Steps to root Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500 on Android 4.2.2 XXUAMDL Jelly Bean
Step-1: Download root file for Samsung Galaxy S4 to the computer [File name: SamsungI9500_cwm_Recovery_by cofface_0503.zip]
Step-2: Extract the downloaded root zip file using winrar/7zip/winzip or any other extracting tool
Step-3: Download Odin3 v3.07 and extract the zip file
Step-4: Power off the Galaxy S4 and boot the device into Download Mode. To do so press and hold Volume Down + Home buttons together and the press the Power button until the device turn on. Now, press the Volume Up button to enter Download Mode
Step-5: Launch Odin on the computer
Step-6: Connect the Galaxy S4 to the computer using USB cable while the device is in Download Mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the phone. When the device is connected successfully, the ID: COM box will turn yellow with the COM port number. Also, the successful connection will be indicated by a message saying Added under Odin.
If the Added message does not appear, then try the USB port located at the back of the computer. If that too does not work, then re-install USB driver.
Step-7: In Odin, click the PDA button and select the cofface_samsungI9500_recovery_en_0503.tar file
Step-8: Configure the Odin settings. Verify that Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time options are selected in Odin window. As for the Re-partition, do not click tick the option
Step-9: When everything is set, click the Start button in Odin. The installation process should begin now and take a few minutes to complete
Step-10: Once the installation process is completed, the phone will restart automatically. Users may unplug the USB cable from the phone after the home screen appears on the device
Step-11: Switch off the Galaxy S4 again and boot the phone into recovery mode. Press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together and then select ROOT YOUR PHONE
Step-12: When the rooting process is completed, return to the main recovery menu and reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now
As the Samsung Galaxy S4 boots up, it should be rooted successfully on Android 4.2.2 XXUAMDL Jelly Bean official firmware.
Click here for step-by-step guide to root Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9500 on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean.
[Source: Honai of Android]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader