Cristiano Ronaldo
Ronaldo will not leave the Bernabeu, says Ancelotti.Getty

Real Madrid manager Carlo Ancelotti says he is "100% certain" that Cristiano Ronaldo will not rejoin Manchester United next summer.

Despite having taken his goal-scoring feats at the Santiago Bernabeu to unfathomable levels this season, the Portuguese international's long-term future in the Spanish capital has come under scrutiny in recent months.

The World Player of the Year recently speculated that United was one of three clubs he could retire at, along with Real and boyhood side Sporting Lisbon, while Louis van Gaal responded by confirming the club are interested in bringing the 29-year-old back to Old Trafford should the opportunity ever present itself.

However, talk of an emotional homecoming in Manchester has been quelled by Ronaldo's agent Jorge Mendes who revealed the player's release clause stands at €1bn (£785m), while his manager Ancelotti is also confident he will finish his career in Spain.

"Everyone can be changed and substituted but Ronaldo is now the best in the world and it (would mean) Madrid lose the best player, which is a huge loss," Ancelotti told The Sun.

"But this wouldn't happen – because Ronaldo will go the end of his career at Real Madrid. I'm 100% certain he will be here next season, not at Manchester United - 100%."

Ronaldo, who has struck 20 goals in just 13 appearances this season, will return to England this week to take on his former club's arch rival Liverpool in their Champions League group stage clash. His partner in attack, Gareth Bale will miss the trip to Anfield after suffering a gluteal injury while on international duty with Wales last week.

The former Tottenham Hotspur star was an unused substitute in Saturday's 5-0 thrashing of Levante, and is also a doubt for Saturday's El Clasico showdown with Barcelona at the Bernabeu.