The Crown Prosecution Service have authorised the prosecution of Chelsea captain John Terry for racially abusing Queens Park Rangers counterpart Anton Ferdinand.
The Chelsea captain is alleged to have racially abused Ferdinand, who is the younger brother of Manchester United defender Rio, during the west London derby against QPR on October 23.
The CPS verdict comes just a few days after various reports confirmed the finding of new video evidence of previously unseen footage from the match involving the two Premier League clubs.
Alison Saunders, Chief Crown Prosecutor for London said: "I have today advised the Metropolitan Police Service that John Terry should be prosecuted for a racially aggravated public order offence following comments allegedly made during a Premier League football match between Queen's Park Rangers and Chelsea on 23 October 2011.
"The decision was taken in accordance with the Code for Crown Prosecutors and after careful consideration of all the evidence, I am satisfied there is sufficient evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction and it is in the public interest to prosecute this case.
"Mr Terry will appear before West London Magistrates' Court on 1 February 2012.
"He is now summonsed with a criminal offence and has the right to a fair trial. It is extremely important that nothing should be reported which could prejudice his trial."
The aforementioned Chelsea captain has strenuously maintained his innocence and put the incident involving the QPR defender, which happened at Loftus Road, down to a 'misunderstanding'.
In the aftermath of Chelsea's loss to QPR, when the incident is alleged to have occurred, Terry released a statement saying: "I've seen that there's a lot of comments on the internet with regards to some video footage of me during the game. I'm disappointed that people have leapt to the wrong conclusions about the context of what I was seen to be saying to Anton Ferdinand.
"I would never say such a thing, and I'm saddened that people would think so."
Although the CPS have charged Terry, the Chelsea captain is still awaiting the outcome of the Football Association's separate investigation.
Prior to knowing the outcome of the CPS verdict, Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas vowed that he and the club would give their talismanic captain all the support he needs.
"The only thing I know is that I will be fully supportive of John Terry, whatever the outcome," Villas-Boas told a press conference earlier on Wednesday. "He has my full support, he has the club's full support.
"We know exactly his human values and personality. They are never in doubt."
The Crown Prosecution Service's verdict in regards to the Chelsea and England captain, came just 24 hours after the FA banned Liverpool forward Luis Suarez for eight games and fined him £40,000, after an Independent Regulatory Commission found the Anfield star guilty of racially abusing Manchester United's Patrice Evra.
In response to the CPS verdict, Chelsea's released a statement via theirn official website: "Chelsea Football Club today received notification that the Crown Prosecution Service has charged John Terry with a racially aggravated public order offence.
"John has made it clear he denies the charge and is determined to do all he can to prove his innocence.
"Chelsea FC has always been fully supportive of John in this matter and will continue to be so. The club finds all forms of discrimination abhorrent and we are proud of the work we undertake campaigning on this important issue."Chelsea will not be commenting further on the subject while the legal process runs its course."