The Galaxy Note (model number GT-N7000) users can now experience the latest iteration of Jelly Bean software, Android 4.2.2, with the new custom release by the team Avatar.
The AvatarROM 2.15b, featuring Android 4.2.2, integrates the fifth Release Candidate (RC5) builds of CyanogenMod 10.1.0 (CM10.1.0). Also, it brings several feature enhancements and bug fixes.
As the developer notes the biggest changes in the new custom build are the pertinent to Bazooka (launcher) and Weebo. The grid size issues have been fixed across all the devices and resolutions. Besides, the Transparency settings have also been tweaked.
AvatarROM 2.15b features
CyanogenMod RC5 merges
Fixes in Theme choose
Grid size issue fixed across all devices and resolutions
Transparency setting changed (1 to 10 transparency, also moved from general to Drawer)
Fixed the issue with transparent fade animation while going from Apps to Widgets
Fixed some crashes
New UI for editing rules
Shows a dialogue if rule is broken. If the rule is fine, user can directly enable/disable the rule by tapping on it
Weebo icon is changed
Head over to the source page to learn more about the AvatarROM 2.15b.
Galaxy Note users, who wish to experience the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean via AvatarROM 2.15b, may follow our step-by-step guide. Users may face minor bug issues with the installation of the custom ROM as it is still under development state.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any mishap. Users are also advised to verify that their devices meet following requirements before installing the custom build.
1) Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy Note to transfer files between the Android device and computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and then check the USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial is likely wipe all data of the phone, create a back-up. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as ClockworkMod/TWRP already installed, then backup data using the recovery.
4) The battery of Galaxy Note should have above 80 per cent of charge.
5) The phone should be rooted and have ClockworkMod recovery installed. Click here for guide to root Galaxy Note on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean and install CWM recovery.
6) The AvatarROM 2.15b is compatible only with Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000. Flashing this on any incorrect variant is likely to brick the device. Therefore, verify the model number of Galaxy device by navigating to Settings>> About Phone>> Model number.
7) After flashing the ROM if the device gets stuck on Booting animation or experience boot loop then perform wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache five more times before rebooting the device.
8) Users are advised to give about five to 10 minutes to the ROM after the device boots up first time to settle everything for a better using experience.
Steps to install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on Samsung Galaxy Note N7000 with AvatarROM 2.15b
Step-1: Download AvatarROM 2.15b Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean custom firmware for Samsung Galaxy Note to the computer
File name: avatar-2.15b-1139-20130614-n7000.zip
Step-2: Download Google Apps package
Step-3: Plug in the USB cable to the Galaxy Note to connect it with the computer. Then copy both the downloaded zip files to the SD card of the phone. But do not extract any file
Step-4: Unplug the USB cable from the phone and turn it off
Step-5: Then boot the Galaxy Note into CWM recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Power and Home buttons together until the Samsung logo appears. Then release all three buttons for a second and then hold them again. The CWM recovery screen will appear soon
Note: In recovery mode, use Volume keys to navigate between the options and Power button to select the desired options.
Step-6: It is important to perform a Nandroid backup of the existing ROM that can be restored later if the new ROM does not work or in case users wish to go back to the previous ROM. To perform a Nandroid backup, select Backup and Restore then on the next screen select Backup again. Go back to the main recovery menu once the backup process is done
Step-7: Now perform data wiping task to eliminate clash between the new ROM and the previous ROM. Select wipe data/factory reset then select Yes on the next screen to confirm the action. Wait for some time until the wiping process is done and return to the CWM recovery menu. Select wipe cache partition and after wiping cache partition process is completed, select Wipe Dalvik Cache under advance option to perform Dalvik cache wiping. When the action is completed, return to the main recovery menu
Step-8: Select install zip from sdcard then select choose zip from sdcard. Now navigate to the AvatarROM 2.15b zip which was earlier copied to the SD card of the phone. Select it by pressing the Power button and confirm installation on the next screen. The installation should begin now
Step-9: When the ROM is installed, follow the similar procedure (step-8) to install Google Apps package
Step-10: When the installation process is completed, go back to the main recovery menu and reboot the Note by selecting reboot system now. The device will reboot now and boot up into the customised AvatarROM. The first boot will take about five minutes
Note: To go back to the previous ROM, boot the phone into recovery mode, select Backup and Restore then restore the ROM by selecting it from the list.
Samsung Galaxy Note should be now updated with customised AvatarROM 2.15b Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean custom build. Verify the new software version running on the device by navigating to Settings>> About phone.
Click here for guide to install N7000XXLT9 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean on Samsung Galaxy Note
[Source: Droid Noobs]