SlimROMs team has recently announced the release of its new custom firmware, SlimBean Build 7, featuring Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. The latest build, which is a stable version of firmware, brings several changes and integrates numerous customised features and tweaks.
It should be noted that with the installation of Build 7 if Google Now gets FC error on starting due to old data from the previous build, then uninstall Google Now. Reboot the Android device and install the Slim Gapps again.
SlimBean Build 7 Changes and Features
- Adds QS and Notifications to navrings
- Adds Privacy Guard
- Adds Privacy Guard Manager [Settings>> Security>> Privacy Guard]
- Adds SMS Middleware layer
- Adds option for subtle vibration notification during calls
- Makes contacts apps aware of blacklisting being disabled
- All init.d scripts removed
- Many translation updates, optimisations and fixes
- Adds support for m7att and m7tmo
Check out the development thread for the full changelog.
SlimBean Build 7 is also available for first-generation Galaxy Notes (model number GT-N7000) running Android v4.1.2. As the developer notes, the custom firmware fixes the Bootanimation issue for the Note.
Galaxy Note users who wish to install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean using SlimBean Build 7 may follow our step-by-step guide.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers it will not be held liable for any mishap. Users are also advised to verify their handsets meet following requirements.
- Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy Note to transfer files between device and computer
- Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to connect with computer and use Android SDK [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and check the USB Debugging Mode]
- The tutorial will wipe all data so create a back-up. If the device has custom recoveries such as ClockworkMod/TWRP, then back-up data using recovery
- Galaxy Note should have above 80% battery charge
- Phone should be rooted and have ClockworkMod recovery installed. Click here for a guide to root Galaxy Note on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean and install CWM recovery
- SlimBean Build 7 works only with Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000. Installing this on any incorrect variant is likely to brick the device. Therefore, verify model number by navigating to Settings > About phone > Model Number.
- After flashing ROM, if device gets stuck on Booting animation or experiences boot loop, then wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache five more times before rebooting
- Users are advised to give five to 10 minutes after device boots up for the first time
Steps to Install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on Galaxy Note GT-N7000 via SlimBean Build 7
Step-1: Download SlimBean Build 7 Android 4.2.2 custom firmware for Samsung Galaxy Note to computer
File name: Slim-n7000-4.2.2.build.7-OFFICIAL
Step-2: Download Google Apps package [Slim Gapps]
Step-3: Connect Galaxy Note to computer using USB cable. Transfer downloaded zip files to SD card on phone but do not extract files
Step-4: Unplug USB cable from phone and switch device off
Step-5: Boot Galaxy Note into CWM recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Power and Home buttons until Samsung logo appears. CWM recovery screen will appear
Note: In recovery, use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power to select option
Step-6: A Nandroid backup of existing ROM is recommended; this can be restored later if the new ROM does not work or if users wish to return to previous ROM. To perform a Nandroid backup, select Backup and Restore > Backup. Go back to main recovery menu once process is done
Step-7: Before flashing update, perform data wiping task to eliminate clash between new ROM and previous ROM. Select wipe data/factory reset > Yes. Wait until wiping process is done and return to CWM recovery menu. Select wipe cache partition and after process is completed, select Wipe Dalvik Cache under Advance option to perform Dalvik cache wiping. When action is completed, return to main recovery menu
Step-8: Select install zip from sdcard and select choose zip from sdcard. Locate SlimBean Build 7.zip (earlier copied to SD card of phone) and select by pressing Power button. Confirm installation on next screen
Step-9: When Slim ROM is installed, follow the similar procedure (Step-8) but now choose Slim Gapps to install Google Apps package
Step-10: When installation process is completed, go back to main recovery menu and reboot Galaxy Note by selecting reboot system now. The device will boot up into the customised SlimBean Build 7. The first boot will take about five minutes
Note: To go back to the previous ROM, boot the phone into recovery mode, select Backup and Restore then restore the ROM by selecting it from the list.
SlimBean Build 7 custom firmware should be now installed and running on Samsung Galaxy Note. Verify the new software version of the device by navigating to Settings>> About phone.
Click here for guide to unroot Galaxy Note GT-N7000 to stock firmware and reclaim warranty.
[Source: Android Geeks]